Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dancarr22
Helper V
Helper V

Power BI Service Refresh failing only when using specific dataset name

Hello,

We have a Power BI data model which we publish to PBI Service.  It connects to an on-premise SQL Server database via the gateway.  It worked fine for last couple of years until earlier this week.  No db or infrastructure changes.
The bizarre thing is - if we take the same exact pbix which has the data model - rename it and publish it to the same workspace - then that one works for refresh.  Same exact file just a different name.  So, original file does not refresh on gateway.  But, if I just rename and republish it - that one refreshes.  So, it seems to be file dependent.  The problem is - we have 50+ reports pointing to the original dataset and will be difficult to tell everyone to point to new model.
One other peculiar thing I noticed is - on the dataset which is failing to refresh:  When I go into refresh settings and click not on 'Scheduled' but 'OneDrive' - it shows that all of those have failed.  Maybe when I'm saving the data model it's out of space?  Or something corrupted with that OneDrive location?  I'm not even sure what OneDrive does under the refresh tab.

We do have a help desk ticket open with Microsoft but not progressing.

Thanks,

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @dancarr22 

So far, there is no button on PowerBI service to trigger OneDrive refresh.

By default, Power BI checks about every hour if a dataset connected to a file on OneDrive or SharePoint Online requires synchronization.

If you want to force onedrive to refresh, you can consider manually uploading new files to onedrive to replace the original files.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@dancarr22 You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks @Greg_Deckler 
Do you know if there is a way to force a refresh of the OneDrive/metadata associated with a dataset?  PBI_OneDriveRefreshIssue.JPG

Hi, @dancarr22 

So far, there is no button on PowerBI service to trigger OneDrive refresh.

By default, Power BI checks about every hour if a dataset connected to a file on OneDrive or SharePoint Online requires synchronization.

If you want to force onedrive to refresh, you can consider manually uploading new files to onedrive to replace the original files.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors