Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Shawnobyl
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Service: Permissions failed to update

Hi all,

When I go to update the permissions of my report in Power BI Service (e.g. remove user or add new users), it comes back with the following error message:

"Permissions failed to update. The report permissions failed to update, but the issue is likely temporary. Try again later".

Shawnobyl_0-1663544412580.png

It has been 5 days and I am still getting this same message when I try to update the permissions of my report, so it doesn't look to be temporary as the message suggest.

Does anyone have any idea on what is causing this message to appear?

I started getting this message about 5 days ago, and prior to that I had no problem updating the permissions on the same report.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Shawnobyl
Frequent Visitor

I was able to resolve this issue with the help of the PBI support team. The cause was rather unexpected for me.

Turns out this message usually happens when one of the existing users has left the company and their user account is no longer in the AD.  After removing these non-existent users then I was once again able to update the permissions of the report.

Likewise, this issue only happens when individual users are added to a report rather than using a security group, so the advise is to use security group to avoid encountering this message.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
edhans
Super User
Super User

Nice. yet another reason not to use email addresses when sharing, but security groups. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
Shawnobyl
Frequent Visitor

I was able to resolve this issue with the help of the PBI support team. The cause was rather unexpected for me.

Turns out this message usually happens when one of the existing users has left the company and their user account is no longer in the AD.  After removing these non-existent users then I was once again able to update the permissions of the report.

Likewise, this issue only happens when individual users are added to a report rather than using a security group, so the advise is to use security group to avoid encountering this message.

v-xiaosun-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Shawnobyl ,

Please first check that if the new users you added to the permission of the report are validly invited.

And you can try the followings:

1, Republish the report to service and try to manage permissions again.

2, Check that if the user account you add or remove can be used correctly.

3, Change the browser to try to sign in Power BI again.

4, Check the version and use another version to try again.

vxiaosunmsft_0-1663581196760.pngvxiaosunmsft_1-1663581196765.png

Please refer to the following documents.

Quickstart: Add a guest user and send an invitation - Azure AD - Microsoft Entra | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ xiaosun

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Shawnobyl
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @edhans, I will submit a support ticket as I've not been able to find much information on this message.

edhans
Super User
Super User

I am not currently aware of an issue with this, so your best bet is to open a ticket at the bottom of this page and let Microsoft troubleshoot this for you. Support | Microsoft Power BI

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors