Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Hema

Power BI 'Public' group - Is it really public?

People in my organization are not able to see the group (and its contents) in the group workspace even though it is defined as 'Public'

Hi ,

I have created a group and selected 'Public' in privacy settings and created a dashboard in that. 

Public: People in your organization can see the group’s contents even if they aren’t explicitly added as members of the group.

Above is mentioned in the documentation. however other people in my organization are not able to view this group.

They can view the group and group contents only if I explicitily added them as a member or admin. If that's the case what is the difference between Public and Private group.

Please guide.

Thanks,
Hema.

3 REPLIES 3
igor_okmc

If a Workspace is Private, then only group members will veiw (or view & edit) the contence, even if it is Premium type of Workspace. If a Workspace is Public, once you've published it as App, people who are not group members but were added as ones having access to the App, will be able to view the contence.

eskyline
Resolver I
Resolver I

I also observed the same behavior initially.  But here is what I found....  After about 30 minutes I actually received a message indicating I had joined a group.  This is because I initially created the group and added myself as Admin.  Other users in my org did not see the group in Power BI.  In the first 30 minutes I went into Outlook and looked for the group (Discover section) and did not find the group either.  After the 30 minutes I went back into Outlook and did find the group in discover.  I also had another individual in my org go into Outlook and search for it and they found it as well.  They were able to join the group and then return to Power BI and the workspace then appeared.

I can only surmize that that "Public" in this content means discoverable to users so that they can then join if they want to.  If it was truely added immediately to everyones Power BI workspace there would likely be users that don't want it. 

ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@Hema What I have tested with Power BI Groups is that we should explicitly add users as either member or admin of Groups to work !

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors