Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

F_88
Frequent Visitor

Power BI - Get data from excel on a server desktop)

dear all,

it's my first appearance on this forum. I'm really keen and enthusiastic as a PBI lover.

I bring here the following problem:

> i've a bunch of excel files that are linked to a ERP system to give us real time accounting records;

> all computations were done on excel files since they're live time connected but unfortunately any cell update obliged to be connected otherwise excel returns error on those cells;

> I would like to migrate that output to a PBI through an web access to avoid those connecting difficulties since IT does not have a solution (i tought we could share the excel files with the Business Unit owners with user permissions but whenever they change some field criteria to visualize what they want, excel data will crash because they've no acess to server desktop); 

> all excel files are keep update but are located on that server desktop which not allow to install PBI there or link to internet to alternatively try to use One Drive cloud).

Summarizing, is there any way I link PBI directly to those excel? I tried to link directly to the server folder path and PBI did not ask for any credentials but return binary extension files but I'm not kindly confortable on proceed....

Let me know if I was clear on my doubt.

Thanks all in advance

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @v-yadongf-msft,

Apparantely I solved it....no vpn or credentials needed since I was connected through network wire.

Just link directly to folder path even if it located on a remote server desktop.

Many thanks anyway..

View solution in original post

Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @F_88 ,
You can directly connect to the folder path. 
It might or might not ask for credentials depending on which account/user you have used to connect to Power BI. If the network is same, it will not ask for credentials since Power BI automatically pulls it for you.

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png  

Give a Thumbs Up if this post helped you in any way and Mark This Post as Solution if it solved your query !!!

Proud To Be a Super User !!!
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @F_88 ,
You can directly connect to the folder path. 
It might or might not ask for credentials depending on which account/user you have used to connect to Power BI. If the network is same, it will not ask for credentials since Power BI automatically pulls it for you.

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png  

Give a Thumbs Up if this post helped you in any way and Mark This Post as Solution if it solved your query !!!

Proud To Be a Super User !!!
LinkedIn

v-yadongf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @F_88 

Did you get the excel file through the power bi service? Since you mentioned getting binary extension files through PBI, make sure you have access to these excel files and your organization's IT allow you to connect excel files using cloud services.

If you still have questions, please contact us in time.

Best regards,

Yadong Fang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yadongf-msft,

Apparantely I solved it....no vpn or credentials needed since I was connected through network wire.

Just link directly to folder path even if it located on a remote server desktop.

Many thanks anyway..

Hi  @F_88 ,

I am so glad to hear that your problem has been solved . Please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors