Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

gautampruthi
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Data Gateway Stopped working

Hi, 

We have been using Data Gateway to update  on premise date in Power Bi Dashboard. In april the scheduled refresh stopped working as part of troubleshooting we updated the gateway and the issue resolved the same issue took place again and we managed to resolve this by updating the gateway. 

How can we mitigate this issue or whats the reason behind it

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DallasBaba
Super User
Super User

@gautampruthi This is related to updating servers. Microsoft is releasing monthly updates that require you to log in to the system in which the gateway is installed and reboot your gateway server periodically because they are now getting updated monthly.

The machines update on the second, third, and fourth Saturdays of the month, beginning at 11 PM, and have a 4-hour update window. The idea is to phase in updates to catch any bad updates before they get deployed to a critical server.

DallasBaba_0-1717590076646.png

Helpful Resource

Accept as a solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item

Thanks
Dallas

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
DallasBaba
Super User
Super User

@gautampruthi This is related to updating servers. Microsoft is releasing monthly updates that require you to log in to the system in which the gateway is installed and reboot your gateway server periodically because they are now getting updated monthly.

The machines update on the second, third, and fourth Saturdays of the month, beginning at 11 PM, and have a 4-hour update window. The idea is to phase in updates to catch any bad updates before they get deployed to a critical server.

DallasBaba_0-1717590076646.png

Helpful Resource

Accept as a solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item

Thanks
Dallas
gautampruthi
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @lbendlin 
The scheduled refresh stopped itself and then when we checked the datails were "

Failure details: Your data gateway is offline or could not be reached. Ensure the computer running the gateway is on during the refresh period."

The system in which gateway is installed remains on everytime.

The gateway version is 3000.222.5 and the gateway is installed in only one machine with no proxy involved.

Do you think adding cluster member can help in mitigating this?

Are you using a personal gateway?

yes, its a personal gateway

Personal gateways are implemented as Windows applications. They need to be open when you are attempting a refresh  (which means that the PC they are running on must be on and working during that time too).

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

the scheduled refresh stopped working

Please provide more details.  Was the schedule suspended due to four consecutive refresh failures?  Did it switch off by itself?

How many gateway cluster members? Which gateway version?  Is a proxy involved? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.