Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rswami_4
Helper I
Helper I

Power BI Dashboard table export to excel does not work

I am able to right click on the report and export my table.  However, when I try the same from the dashboard table that was created by using the "Pin Live Page" link, I get a blank output in excel with the following text:

© 2016 MicrosoftMicrosoft account symbol
Terms of use Privacy & Cookies  

Is anyone else getting the same error?  Any idea how to make this work?

Thanks,

Swami

5 REPLIES 5

@rswami_4 I don't even have an option to export data from a "pin live page" tile...

And I am not experiencing any issues exporting to excel.

What version of Excel are you using? And what am I missing with trying to reproduce?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Perhaps I did not explain the issue clearly.  I have a dashboard created oiut of a report page.  Both the dashboard and the report from which it was created have a table.  

The first problem is:  When hover over the table in the report (online), I get the menu on the top righthand side with the 3 dots to export data (screen shot below).  I do not see this menu in the dashboard view.

Error 1.png

The second problem is: in IE11, I can right-click the table and a option shows up to download the table into excel (Export to Microsoft Excel).  When I use this option, I get the following error with both the report and the dashboard:

Error 2.png

With Microsoft Edge and google Chrome however, I do not see the option to download to Excel when I right-click the table.

@rswami_4 Ok, for the first issue. Report visuals are not the same as dashboard tiles. When you publish that visual, think of it as a new object on the dashboard. In the report, when you click the "..." the only option you see is "Export Data". You do have the same "..." on the upper right of the dashboard tile, but there are more options since it is a different object. The page icon with folded corner 

page.JPG

is "Export Data"

2nd - The export data behaviour you are describing and what I've tested is the right click functionality of the browser page, not a prompt in Power BI. If you are looking to export data, I would recommend using the methods to do so within the application. 

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer, thanks for the response.  In this case I am not pinning a table visual, but instead the entire report containing charts and visuals into the dashboard.  When I click on the 3 dots on the top of the dashboard, I only get three options - Pin Visual, Tile Details and Delete Tile.   

@rswami_4 Ah. OK, that makes sense. I see what you are talking about now. I don't know if they want to add full functionality of a report page in the "Pin live page" functionality... It looks like the request has already been made here, so throw some votes on it. Outside of that, I would recommend you pin the table visual individually. And you still get the export data functionality, or navigate to the report itself. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors