Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jengwt
Helper V
Helper V

Personal vs Enterprise Data-Source Connections for On-Prem Gateway

Hello. I am a new PBI tenant admin, and have a problem that datasets which include cloud (SQL Svr) sources claim that the enterprise gateway is required to refresh them. They insist that I add those sources to the gateway.

The problem with this is that we use PBI Pro per user licensing, and one of our datasets is "too big" for the gateway. Therefore, I can only refresh that dataset via the cloud.

We are also working to reduce the dataset size, but that won't solve this problem.

Regardless, we shouldn't be required to run these cloud data sources through the gateway.

Strangely, when I have one of my coworkers take control of such a dataset, the service seems to "forget" about this problem and will allow refreshing through the cloud as long as credentials are provided. If I then take control of the dataset back from them, it is still happy.

So, this does not appear to be user specific, but only occurs when one of us modifies the enterprise gateway connections or settings and the service seems to "remember" that this is a problem.

How can I control if a data source uses the cloud over the gateway? How can I both have those SQL Svrs listed as connection on my gateway and tell the gateway or datasets to prioritize the use of the cloud over the gateway for a given source?

Thanks for your help!

Yes, I know I can file a ticket. I am filing one through our partner.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jengwt
Helper V
Helper V

The problem with this was that the cloud data sources needed to be "set up" as individual, personal connections (i.e. using the individual’s credentials) on the gateway by the connecting admin / dataset owner. This occurs when a source which doesn't pass through the enterprise Gateway is given credentials.

When I was reviewing the Gateway connections, I was erroneously removing my personal connections to the cloud sources, thinking that the PBI service was adding those itself as enterprise-wide sources to the gateway when we don’t want our cloud sources going through the gateway. But by doing so I was deleting the method by which we were not using the enterprise Gateway. So now that I’ve learned that lesson, the problem has been "solved".

Right now, this only implied by the connection not being listed as attached to a Gateway. Perhaps MSFT should put a placeholder value under Gateway Cluster Name field as "personal connection", or something like that.

jengwt_0-1655758361035.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jengwt
Helper V
Helper V

The problem with this was that the cloud data sources needed to be "set up" as individual, personal connections (i.e. using the individual’s credentials) on the gateway by the connecting admin / dataset owner. This occurs when a source which doesn't pass through the enterprise Gateway is given credentials.

When I was reviewing the Gateway connections, I was erroneously removing my personal connections to the cloud sources, thinking that the PBI service was adding those itself as enterprise-wide sources to the gateway when we don’t want our cloud sources going through the gateway. But by doing so I was deleting the method by which we were not using the enterprise Gateway. So now that I’ve learned that lesson, the problem has been "solved".

Right now, this only implied by the connection not being listed as attached to a Gateway. Perhaps MSFT should put a placeholder value under Gateway Cluster Name field as "personal connection", or something like that.

jengwt_0-1655758361035.png

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @jengwt ,

The rule is that if data is cloud, you do not need a gateway and if it is local, you do need a gateway.  HOWEVER, there are times to set a gateway for cloud information.  

In a type of situation like yours the gateway can be used as the "method of permission" to read the data. In other words, not every user that has a Power BI Pro license has the permissions to read the data source.  That is a great reason to use the gateway as the gateway is setup with the correct permissions with the correct userid so the Power BI users can have reports using that gateway as the conduit to get to the data.

This might be something that is happening to you?  And when users are using different permissions they are getting the error?  Maybe some of the Pro users have access to read the SQL data and some do not?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors