Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Paulx99
Helper IV
Helper IV

Personal Gateway offline

Hi All

I downloaded and successfully installed my Personal Gateway last night and also did a successful refresh at that time. Tonight when I went to do another refresh in PBI Service Pro, I got the following message:

"Couldn't refresh because your Personal Gateway is offline. Make sure your Personal Gateway is up and running."

I'm not sure why my Personal Gateway is offline (I certainly didn't take it offline !) and I've got no idea how to make sure my personal gateway is up and running !

If anyone knows how to get a personal gateway online and up and running again, (and keep it that way), if you could please let me know, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Paul

11 REPLIES 11
Indika156
Frequent Visitor

Hi

This may be late post , but will be useful to some one else , Please find the Personal gateway from the Start menu and Sign in again , then it wil be online , this hapens when it sign out

Thanks

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can also verify the gateway status on the schedule refresh tab for the data model. Mine gateway is found in the Windows 8 start menu as well as the system tray.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi kcantor

Thank you for getting back to me. All the gateway staus on the refresh tab for teh data model tells me is that it is offline - it doesn't tell me why or how to get it back online. I'm running Windows 8.1, but couldn;t see it in either the start menu or the system tray.

I must be missing something here.

Paul

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Paulx99

Click on start, click the down arrow to access apps, then use the bottom slider to move the screen over to the right. For some reason, it doesn't show under the first set of apps but under the second and is listed in a group called PowerBI GateWay -- Personal and the app has the same name.  You can also use the search function with the start button and search for "personal."

You may have a setting that is not allowing it to start when you boot. Once you click on the app and open it, check your settings. If it isn't in the apps, You may want to do a reinstallation.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thanks will try that.

@Paulx99 Check out this troubleshooting page, it doesn't list your specific problem, but it will tell you where the log files are etc, maybe you can find more information in those.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Will do, thanks.

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Paulx99 By Personal Gateway is offline, it means powerbi.com is unable to connect to machine on which your gateway is running. Ensure machine (or laptop) on which you've installed personal gateway is not sleep or turned off and is on connected to the network. When installing personal gateway you would have a little warning that would have said if laptop goes to sleep mode or turned off personal gateway will be offline.

Hi ankitpatira

Thanks for your reply. My PC is definately not asleep or turned off and is definately connected to the network. In addition, I do not remember seeing a warning that said if the laptop goes to into sleep mode or is turned off that the personal gateway will be offline. Is that just a warning, or a checkbox option ?

Paul

@Paulx99 Second screen during personal gateway installation gives you this warning sign.

Capture.JPG

Got it ! Thanks !

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors