Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Personal Bookmark getting deleted

Hi All, 

My business users are complainting that there personal bookmarks are getting deleted whenever a new version of report is published by developers

Is this a known behaviour or a bug? As per the powerbi offical page the limitation says Users will get a error message stating something has chaged with this version. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/consumer/end-user-bookmarks

From above link :

Generally, your bookmarks will not be affected if the report designer updates or republishes the report. However, if the designer makes major changes to the report, such as removing fields used by a bookmark, then you will receive an error message the next time you attempt to open that bookmark.

9 REPLIES 9
benZert

I'm also experiencing this with my users, have you found a solution to this? When I've re-published the .pbix the dataset is the same and report name is the same, but yet bookmarks are still being removed. Did you happen to find out what triggers PBI to decide that bookmarks should be deleted?

elimcd79
Advocate II
Advocate II

We are running into this same issue as well, and we don't use DevOps. When we re-puplish a report (using the same report name and after having made no changes to the underlying data model), personal bookmarks are deleted. The user gets no error messeage; the bookmarks simply dissapear.

We have got the same issue as mentioned here. The personal bookmarks were deleted. The report name and the dataset were the same. No error messages, the were just all gone for the end users after updating the app. Is there a bug?

This seems to have resolved for us. We haven't had any further reports of end users losing personal bookmarks ...and for several months I proactively reached out to end users who I knew were using bookmarks.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help - good luck!

sirlanceohlott
Advocate III
Advocate III

Is the report name & underlying dataset name that is being published changing with each version?

If that is the case then the bookmarks will be deleted.

One way I've been able to avoid personal bookmarks being deleted upon publishing of new versions of a report is to keep the same report & dataset name. 

I just keep versioned .pbix files in SharePoint to know how far we've gone in our lifecycle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We are using DevOps Pipeline & Git to move reports from Dev to Quality to Production workspaces. 

The name of dataset remains same with this. Not sure if internally Devops is deleting the existing old report and re-publishing the updated report version as a new copy . 

Do you have any clue on this aspect?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-deddai1-msft , The link you mentioned is PowerBI's new pipeline deployment feature which i'm not using. In our case Azure DevOps pipeline is been used for such deployments.

@Anonymous your hunch surrounding DevOps would be where I'd start if you haven't already reached out to them as that is a possibility if you've kept the datasets the same. 

I appreciate you sharing your pipeline as well as this helps others who might have more insight than myself!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors