Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mattao44
Frequent Visitor

Permissions for Composite models in the Service

I have created a composite model and published it to the service but having issues with other users seeing the data. Here is my current setup:

Workspace A

• PowerBI Dataset A

Workspace B

• Power BI Report A (composite model using the data below)
    • PowerBI Dataset A
    • Gateway access to 3 .csv files

Currently my users have view access on Workspace B. With this setup my users cannot see any data. I did some testing and the only way to get my users to be able to see the data in Power BI Report A was to either give them member access to Workspace A or to give them build access to PowerBI Dataset A. 

I would prefer to keep their access as read only on the dataset. Any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @mattao44 

According to your description, it seems that you used the Direct query for the Power BI dataset and combine the dataset with 3 .csv files. I’ve also created the same scene as yours to make a test. Then I got the same result as yours:

v-robertq-msft_0-1618305388287.png

v-robertq-msft_1-1618305388314.png

Based on my test, I think that the view access to the data within the Power BI dataset as the data source is influenced by if he has the “Edit” access to this dataset in the original workspace.

According to the research, I think the preview version of this new feature can be one of the reason of the problem. I think you can follow GilbertQ’s suggestion to vote for an idea at the Power BI Idea to improve this function together with the Power BI.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/directquery-for-power-bi-datasets-and-azure-analysis-servic...

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @mattao44 

As far as I am aware currently they would need to be given either of the options below to view the data in the shared datasets.

You can vote for an idea at https://ideas.powerbi.com

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors