Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Parameters Haven't Been Defined For Your Data Set

Good Afternoon - 

I am working with some 300+M row data sets and am attempting to set up incramental refresh so as not to kill our SQL DB on daily refreshes.

I believe that I followed the instructions correctly on setting up incramental refresh but am still having issues. I have tried this with two different data sets and am getting the same issue on both. I assume there is a step somewhere that I am missing but I cannot seem to figure it out.

1. I created my date parameters (RangeStart and RangeEnd)

Param.JPG

2. I filtered my fact table by the parameters, making sure that one was set to equals and one was set to on or equals

Filter.JPG

3. I applied my changes and set up the refresh on the fact table I wanted and clicked Apply All

SetUp.JPG

4. I published my data set to the cloud, mapped my data sources using my cloud gateway, refreshed the data set manually and when i go look at the settings, I see this.

Error.JPG

I already tried deleting the data set, republishing and refreshing again but got the same error. I have to be missing something step wise but cannot figure out what it is. If anyone has ever experienced this or has an reccomendations on how I can get this working, I would appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Matt

16 REPLIES 16
PowerBIShan
Frequent Visitor

@matthew_hampton  
Did you find any solution to this issue?

BG123
Frequent Visitor

Any luck? I am having the same issue. I had it working when I first went through all of these steps as mentioned above but then at some point in devleopment/publishing, I get same "Parms havent been defined for this datase..." error...

Anonymous
Not applicable

The year 9999 is what's causing your issue. The range end and start dates doesn't actually matter. it is the dates/timeframe you entered into the incremental refresh window that matter. 

double check to make sure parameters are date time fields then change year of end date and it should work fine. 

Hello @Anonymous 

I tried a couple of different ways - I changed RangeEnd to 12-31-2025 and then to 12-31-2020, deleted the data sets, republished and refreshed and am still getting the error that the parameters are not defined.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will keep working towards finding a solution.

Matt

Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @matthew_hampton ,

This kind of error usually appears when either data type conflict is present in parameters or data source is not mentioned properly since data source also is a parameter in power query editor.

It will be best if you re-check these 2 and then try refreshing in services.

You can always raise a ticket to MS support from here for dedictaed help if this is very urgent.

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

Hello @Anand24 

I did verfiy that the date field I am applying the parameters to is a date/time, as is the parameter, so that part checks out for me.

I am not sure I understand what you are saying in the second part that the "data source is not mentioned properly since data source also is a parameter in power query editor." 

Can you shed some more light on what that means how I would go about ensureing that it is mentioned properly?

I will likely open up a ticket today with MS.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi @matthew_hampton ,

ds.PNG

1st and 2nd line in the M code. Mainly the 1st line. Make sure it is correctly given for your source. Power BI automatically creates these 2 lines of M Code but sometimes issues do exist here too.

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

Hello @Anand24 

Here are the first two lines of my M query

AdvancedEditor.JPG

The first row is just Server then Datbase

The second row is schema and table.

From there all I do is change a data type on one unrelated field and apply the parameters.

This is coming from an on-prem SQL data warehouse, if that matters for this discussion.

Does anything look wrong here?

Thanks,

Matt

@matthew_hampton ,

Doesn't seem that anything is incorrect here.

Raising a Support ticket is the best way out. Link

@Anand24 Everything looked fine to me as well. I did open a support ticket and will come back and let everyone know what the outcome is for those that are interested.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Matt

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @matthew_hampton ,

Just to confirm - your RangeStart and RangeEnd parameters are set as Type "DateTime" (NOT just Date) and "AnyValue" in suggested value?  Also, in the Incremental Refresh page setting the DAWloaddate (hard to read...that might be misspelled by me) is NOT the same date being used for the Range Start and End, right?  (I don't think it is but want to confirm.)

Let me know.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

@collinq 

Thanks for the response.

I did double check - both paramters are of type Date/Time and both have any value listed under suggest value.

If I am understanding your second question correctly, I am filtering my import using the parameters on DAWLoadDate. That is the date/time stamp for when the row is inserted into our warehouse and I want to only pull back the new rows based on that. Is there something else I need to change on that front to get the parameters to work properly?

LMK if I did not interpret your second question correctly.

Thanks again!

Matt

Hi @matthew_hampton ,

Is the data type of DAWLoadDate  Date/Time? I also suggest you open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Hello @v-deddai1-msft 

I did verify that the DAWLoadDate field is a Date/Time. I will open up a support ticket this morning.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi @matthew_hampton ,

New theory  - your RangeEnd, did you put the "9999" in there?  Maybe change that to "2025" for right now just to see if it works then.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hell @collinq 

I tried a couple of different ways - I changed RangeEnd to 12-31-2025 and then to 12-31-2020, deleted the data sets, republished and refreshed and am still getting the error that the parameters are not defined.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will keep working towards finding a solution.

Matt

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors