Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

scottdigs
Frequent Visitor

Paginated Reports: ODBC Data Source Connection String Is Not Supported

I'm trying to use Paginated Reports (on Premium Per User license) to connect to Snowflake. It works as expected when I connect to Snowflake via ODBC connection on both my personal machine and also on the server where the gateway is installed. Yes, I downloaded Report Builder on the server with the gateway to test the connection. 

The issue comes when the report is published to the web service.

After publishing the report, I go to manage the data source credentials and setup the connection to the gateway:

scottdigs_0-1653330559463.png

I go through the steps of adding an ODBC source, but I get the error that the connection string is not supported.

scottdigs_1-1653330702331.png

The above string matches Microsoft's documentation here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/paginated-reports/paginated-reports-odbc-support  and it did not work. I've tried several different connection string variations (w/ and w/o curly brackets, wrapping the string in double quotes, using DNS=... instead of full string, etc...) with no success.

I also tried using "Snowflake" as the data source type instead of "ODBC" since it is available in the drop down, but the web service doesn't allow for it to be mapped to the report for some reason.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
scottdigs
Frequent Visitor

There's a solution! There's two workflows for adding data sources and the one I shared above has an issue. The scenario that worked was to go directly to the managed gateway settings and add a new data source and follow the steps for adding an ODBC connection. Screen shot is below. Afterwards, I published the report using the same connection string with success.

Thank you @bradsy  and @GilbertQ for providing input on this.

scottdigs_0-1653362545409.png

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
scottdigs
Frequent Visitor

There's a solution! There's two workflows for adding data sources and the one I shared above has an issue. The scenario that worked was to go directly to the managed gateway settings and add a new data source and follow the steps for adding an ODBC connection. Screen shot is below. Afterwards, I published the report using the same connection string with success.

Thank you @bradsy  and @GilbertQ for providing input on this.

scottdigs_0-1653362545409.png

@scottdigs which string connection variation worked for you? I'm having the same issue I tried dsn= but getting errors. Would you mind sharing?

Hi @scottdigs 

Awesome thanks for letting us know that it does actually work!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @scottdigs 

Unfortunately Snowflake is not supported for Paginated reports, you can see the list in below. (I do know the example you referenced says so)

Supported data sources for Power BI paginated reports - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ,

Would you elaborate? My issue is with ODBC data sources, which Paginated Reports does support. I'm aware there isn't native support for Snowflake, but that is different.

Please see Microsoft's documentation here on ODBC connections and also notice that they use Snowflake as an example: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/paginated-reports/paginated-reports-odbc-support

You might want to contact support. I was also getting the same error when I tried to create ODBC with snowflake. I know it was working in the past, as I see existing ODBC snowflake on our gateway

Thank you, @bradsy . I opened up a support ticket for this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors