Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Serge

POwer BI vs Report builder and reporting services

Dear all,

So far for my report I was using report builder or RSSS hosted in an Azure VM.

Does POwer BI is a kind of replacement to Report Builder and RSS and simply hide the complexity of it ?

thnaks for those clarification

regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Serge,

In my opinion, both SSRS and Power BI have their own advantages. SSRS provide more customization features for us to design the report, for example, custom code, many properties for each control. And it can be built to integrated with SharePoint. And Power BI can  provide us interaction features between visuals, data modelling and publish to web features. For more information, you can take a look at this same thread: Power BI Vs SSRS.

Report builder is a report design toll in SSRS, which is similar to Power BI Desktop. But in desktop, we can do data modelling and data transformation while it can't be done in report builder.

In your scenario, you can chose when to use SSRS or Power BI based on your actual requirement. But as Power BI is a modern BI feature, I believe it will provide more features and be perfect in the future.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Serge,

In my opinion, both SSRS and Power BI have their own advantages. SSRS provide more customization features for us to design the report, for example, custom code, many properties for each control. And it can be built to integrated with SharePoint. And Power BI can  provide us interaction features between visuals, data modelling and publish to web features. For more information, you can take a look at this same thread: Power BI Vs SSRS.

Report builder is a report design toll in SSRS, which is similar to Power BI Desktop. But in desktop, we can do data modelling and data transformation while it can't be done in report builder.

In your scenario, you can chose when to use SSRS or Power BI based on your actual requirement. But as Power BI is a modern BI feature, I believe it will provide more features and be perfect in the future.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors