Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

keyahorm
Regular Visitor

PLEASE HELP: Using the Dashboard like a user?!?

I have created my first dashboard by pinning visualizations from a repot.

I want to be able to intereact with the Dashboard as if I am a user, but every time I click it, it takes me to the report view.

How do you get around this. I want to use my dashboard like I am a user.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@keyahorm Ah, got it. Ok, the Dashboard is designed to highlight the key components of a report. All the tiles by default will re-direct a user to the report. There are a bunch of ways to play with this. If you want to expose the entire report page to a dashboard so the user can just interact with it in the dashboard, you can select "Pin Live Page" in your header in the report. This will pin the entire page to the dashboard.

If you were thinking you could pull elements from your report, and use the dashboard like another report page, it doesn't really work like that. Either you drill down to report level, or be taken somewhere, or pin the entire page.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

@keyahorm Is there some behavior you were assuming, or wanted to occur, that wasn't?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer I wanted it to behave as it does in the report view that I pinned the visuals from. filtering and slice the other visual, instead it directs to the report page.. 

@keyahorm Ah, got it. Ok, the Dashboard is designed to highlight the key components of a report. All the tiles by default will re-direct a user to the report. There are a bunch of ways to play with this. If you want to expose the entire report page to a dashboard so the user can just interact with it in the dashboard, you can select "Pin Live Page" in your header in the report. This will pin the entire page to the dashboard.

If you were thinking you could pull elements from your report, and use the dashboard like another report page, it doesn't really work like that. Either you drill down to report level, or be taken somewhere, or pin the entire page.

@Seth_C_Bauer thanks that explains it. I just like the visuals of the Dashboard way better than when you pint he entire live report page... hmmm

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

That is the normal behavior that your users will experience for individually pinned visuals on a dashboard. They will be taken to the underlying report. Except on mobile devices, where they will be taken to a focus view of that single visual. From there they do have the option of clicking through to the report even on mobile. On a computer they can get to the same focus view from a dashboard by clicking on the ... button in the upper right-hand corner of any visual.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

@KHorseman thanks for the reply.

Not sure I'm using the tool right than..

Should I not be pinning visuals individually?

Should I be sharing my reports instead? Are dashboards just for drill downs?

Depends on the user experience you want. You can use Pin Live Page to pin an entire report page to a dashboard and preserve the layout and cross-filtering interaction between visuals, or you can pin individual visuals as you've been doing. In either case when you share a dashboard, the user can ultimately see the report behind it. That just depends on where they click. If they want to see a single visual really big and nothing else, they just need to click that ... button in the upper right corner of the visual on the dashboard and go to focus mode (which I believe is the behavior you're expecting when they click on the visual).

Reports always follow along with their dashboards. If you share a dashboard, the user gets the dashboard and if they click on it, they get the report behind it. In fact you can pin elements of multiple reports to a single dashboard. The user will get to see the report behind any visual they click through.

Think of it this way: the dashboard is a place to summarize and highlight data for easy access. The report is the full detailed story behind that.

Sometimes you want to give a broad overview of the most important points, so you would pin several individual visuals to a dashboard. For example, think of a CEO or VP who wants to see the sales numbers for the week, the total booked business for the next couple of weeks, and the number of contracts pending.

Other times you may have a user who just wants the details. Think of a mid-level manager perhaps. If they're looking at their Power BI dashboards it's because they want to do what-if analysis, or use slicers to check how individual account managers are doing or whatever. That simple summary would just get in the way for them, so you would probably want to pin whole pages to their dashboard.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors