Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

id013
Helper V
Helper V

PBIX report doesn't prompt to overwrite older version on workspace

Hi,

So I'm trying to replace an older version of a power bi report on a Power BI workspace. The file I'm uploading has the same name as the one that's on the service but when I upload it, it doesn't prompt me to replace it? What other criteria does PBI use to determine if a file should be overwritten or not. 

I mean it's easy enough to overwrite it but when this goes to production it's going to be a pain to have to update all the permissions again since it's "new" report. 

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
arock-well
Helper V
Helper V

Did you start a new report from scratch or download the original one from the workspace? Even if it has the same name, each report has a unique ID associated with it. So to Power BI it is a different report.

I've done this before and it allowed me to publish a report with the exact same name, which seems odd it would allow you to do this. I wish Power BI was a bit smarter and would force you to publish it with a different name and/or ask you if you want to use the new one as the replacement so it keeps the same unique ID.

In any case, I think you're going to have to repoint your links and Workspace App to the new one.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors