Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

andrejo

PBI report does not update after change to underlying PBIX hosted by sharepoint.

I have a PBI report/dashboard/dataset that is available from powerbi.com.

The underlying PBIX that reports on the dataset (a SQL server that we have made the proper authentication for) was updated last week.

We made a change to the SQL server table recently, and added a new slicer that can pivot on that data.

The PBIX resides on a sharepoint, and we performed an in-place replacement of the file.

We would expect that the online report would pick up the changes from the PBIX and propagate them to the powerbi site. Instead, we are continuing to see the same report. The report does display the new rows in the SQL server, but neither the new column nor the new tab of the report is appearing on powerbi.com.

When I Get Data and build a new report using this PBIX, I can see the new tab and the new column.

I would prefer to not publish a brand new report with new GUIDs. We have made in-place changes before. Does anyone have any insight into what we're seeing?

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@andrejo 

When connecting Power BI desktop file on either Onedrive/SharePoint, Power BI will connect directly to the data sources using connection information and credentials in the dataset to query for updated data, then load the updated data into the dataset. So you still need gateway to refresh the dataset. See: Refresh a dataset created from a Power BI Desktop file on OneDrive, or SharePoint Online

Regards,

CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I believe I experienced the exact same thing you report.  In my experience I checked the URL the next day and the update displayed.  I do not know if was a lag in the update by Power BI Service or whether it was a clearing of cache in browser (Edge) due to the PC having been turned off over night and then turned back on.

Not sure how long you've been in limbo on your change.

www.CahabaData.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors