Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AnonymousPerson
Advocate V
Advocate V

Orphaned Deployment Pipeline? Owning User Deleted - No Way to Edit Deployment Pipeline

Hello,

I just became Power BI global admin in my tenant.

The previous admin was owner of 2 deployment pipelines. These were not shared.

The old admin user was deleted and cannot be recovered.

I tried to create a new Deployment Pipeline, but Power BI will not let me add any workspaces because it thinks they are alreay part of this orphaned Deployment Pipeline.  

Is there any way, even as a global admin, to edit Deployment Pipelines that you do not own?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Nimrod_Shalit
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

@AnonymousPerson,

We don't have any direct way to take over an orphaned deployment pipeline.

We will add an admin API so he can add himself/ others to an orphaned pipeline.

Until then, please open a support ticket with the details of the pipelines, and the operation you wish to do-

1. delete the pipelines (which will free up the WSs to be assigned to new pipelines)

2. add a user to the pipelines, so he can become admin.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@Nimrod_Shalit Are you referring to an API that requires full admin access to the entire power bi tenant?

This isn't quite what I was looking for.  Most workspace admins are not power BI admins. 

I was asking for a way to fix a single workspace.  IE. if a workspace-administrator has created a pipeline and attached it to his workspace, then any other workspace-administrator, for the same workspace, should be able to undo that same operation (ie. by detaching that pipeline so the workspace is free to be referenced from a different pipeline) 

Whenever we use pipelines today, they are just for temporary purposes, to quickly copy something from one place to another (without impacting the target by changing its gateway settings, refresh schedule, permissions, etc).  The pipeline is just a means to an end.  It needs to be removed after it's purpose is completed.  However if the workspace-admin who creates the pipeline doesn't remember to clean up after themselves, then another workspace-admin should be able to the clean-up at a later time.  It seems obvious that a workspace admin should be able to detach pipelines, but does not appear to be possible today...

Nimrod_Shalit
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

@AnonymousPerson,

We don't have any direct way to take over an orphaned deployment pipeline.

We will add an admin API so he can add himself/ others to an orphaned pipeline.

Until then, please open a support ticket with the details of the pipelines, and the operation you wish to do-

1. delete the pipelines (which will free up the WSs to be assigned to new pipelines)

2. add a user to the pipelines, so he can become admin.

@Nimrod_Shalit 

Is there any word on this?  We need to clean up pipelines.  An admin of any workspace should be able to detach these silly things, and free up the workspace.

This Power BI problem is two years old.  It would be very nice if the daily use of pipelines didn't involve calling your Power BI support team.  I'm not sure how that crazy decision got passed QA.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors