Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerBI-ELM
Helper I
Helper I

Options to update PowerBI dashboard more frequently

Hello

I have a Power BI report whose dataset retrieves information through the on premise Gateway which accesses our SQL server.  I have the report set to refresh every few seconds which works just fine.  However, when I place the report on a Dashboard i notice that it will only refesh every 15 minutes at most.  The customer would like at faster update.

I am now considering the information on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-real-time-streaming as shared in another post.

That aside, I am also l looking into Power Automate (Flow) to see if there is a way to use a trigger in an MS SQL server (on premise) to invoke a refesh on the report pinned to a PowerBI dashboard.   

(Or some variation on this where I can force a dashboard to refresh on demand or more frequently)

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to push up requests to refresh a dashboard directly from an on premise sql server via the gateaway?

Thanks,

1 REPLY 1
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hey @PowerBI-ELM ,

This article talks about refreshing by using a flow.  It is slightly different in that it refreshes when the data source is modified.  But, I think the steps are helpful:

Refresh your Power BI dataset using Microsoft Flow | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

This article may be even better for you in that it is about using an automate to refresh the data without the data being updated:

Schedule Refresh Power BI dataset with Power Automate! | by Nimai Ahluwalia | All About Power BI | M...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors