Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RoryNBi
Frequent Visitor

Online "View as User" Row Level Security for Dataset Owners

Hi All,

The desktop experience offers a very good 'view as user' experience to help with row level security.

Do we know if we can emulate that in the online environment?  As far as I can see because I'm a data 'owner' I can never apply a role to myself to see how row level security will be applied.

The use case in my business is that I would like to give one of my users the ability to control the roles the have access to, however if I give them access to the dataset they automatically get to see everything all the time irrespective of the role that they have had applied to them.

Please help as it's very frustrating.

5 REPLIES 5
asocorrocognex
Helper II
Helper II

If you have multiple reports built on top of a dataset, how do you choose which one will display once you click on "Test as role"?

Hi @asocorrocognex I am also interested in testing other reports based on the same dataset. Have you found a solution for your question? Thanks

Sorry, no, I have not.

I have found sometimes that opening the report, and then going to the dataset and viewing test as, will cause it to impersonate the most previously opened report. It's hit or miss though, but I've had some success with it. Please make a feature request for this! https://ideas.powerbi.com

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@RoryNBi

In Power BI Service, you can't "View as user", but you can "Test as Role".

7.PNG

To limit the access on your dataset, you should apply the row level filter with DAX expression under a role, and just add those users as members of this role. See: Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors