Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

SparshiJain
Frequent Visitor

OneDrive Power BI sync is not working and OneDrive refresh option gets disabled automatically

Hi,

I've a dataset (PBIX) which is created/ added to Power BI Service using same OneDrive for Business as for the workspace. Any changes made to the PBIX file data model used to be reflected in the Power BI Service, but now the OneDrive Refresh option is disabled automatically and I get the email OneDrive refresh is disabled without any error message. I tried many things but nothing seems to work.

I can't republish it as it'll change the URL of my report which we don't want as the old URL is shared with many people in the organisation.

Could anyone suggest the resolution please? 

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @SparshiJain ,

The problem you are facing is likely related to the fact, that original dataset in your OneDrive tenant was deleted/replaced. Even if the name is the same, the file ID is different and then the connection between OneDrive and PBI Service is lost.

If this is your case, you can try to look in to your bin and restore the deleted version. I am not 100% sure if the file ID will be the same, but it worth trying. Then go to PBI Service - Schedule refresh with OneDrive. Check if you can turn on the sync. with onedrive and test your dataset.

If this won't help I am affraid you need to create a new report with new url.

Let me know,

Migasuke.

If my answer was helpful please give me a Kudos or even accept as a Solution.

Let's connect on LinkedIn!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SparshiJain ,

What kind of the data source for your pbix file? 

By my test, if you data source is online or the enter data, you don't need gateway and could refresh successfully.

If your data source of your pbix file is local, you should configure a gateway and set schedule refresh so that it will refresh successfully.

Have you installed the data gateway and configured the schedule refresh for the dataset?

In addition, if you still need help, please share the details error message for the refresh so that we could know the cause and get the solution, you could find the error message in refresh history.

I have also found a similar post, please refer to it to see if it helps you.

OneDrive refresh disabled 

• log out of PowerBI and logged back in

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

SparshiJain
Frequent Visitor

SparshiJain_0-1657659164341.png

This option is getting disabled automatically. I receive below email but no error is mentioned. There's no way I can identify to fix the issue (if any). It's very frustrating as I had spent hours to fix it but nothing worked.

This is the email I get.

SparshiJain_1-1657659271538.png

Hi @SparshiJain ,

The problem you are facing is likely related to the fact, that original dataset in your OneDrive tenant was deleted/replaced. Even if the name is the same, the file ID is different and then the connection between OneDrive and PBI Service is lost.

If this is your case, you can try to look in to your bin and restore the deleted version. I am not 100% sure if the file ID will be the same, but it worth trying. Then go to PBI Service - Schedule refresh with OneDrive. Check if you can turn on the sync. with onedrive and test your dataset.

If this won't help I am affraid you need to create a new report with new url.

Let me know,

Migasuke.

If my answer was helpful please give me a Kudos or even accept as a Solution.

Let's connect on LinkedIn!

Hi @Migasuke ,

Could you elaborate on a replacement of the original file in OneDrive? My understanding is that once the pbix is uploaded to PBI Service, all changes done to the pbix should be reflected in the PBI Service (with Automated update option enabled). Why do you suggest to restore the original file in order to reactivate the connection?
Recently, I've got plenty of previously uploaded pbixs that I had been able to change over months, but now I see an error "We are unable to locate the file on OneDrive for Business. Please check that the file exists in this location." The files do exist and other models based on pbix files in the same location has no issue.  

Thanks @Migasuke . It worked now after I restored the file from OneDrive recycle bin. This also gives me the root cause of when onedrive refresh is disabled automatically for few files while it works for others.

Thanks again.

Sparshi

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors