Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

johncpratt
Advocate II
Advocate II

On-premises only licensing with software assurance and VS Enterprise subscription

This is a licensing question.  I have SQL Server 2014 Enterprise Core-Licensing Edition with Software Assurance, purchased in July 2016.  I am now preparing to upgrade to SQL Server 2016 Enterprise Core-Licensing Edition and want to install Power BI Report Server for on-premises only, report-only, usage of Power BI in addition to standard SSRS reports.  I also have a Visual Studio Enterprise subscription, which includes a Power BI Pro license that I know I need to publish reports.  My agency, which is a non-profit education company, has a Volume Licensing Agreement for desktop software, SharePoint, etc.

I don't need dashboards, I don't need sharing, I don't need gateway access.  Hosted is considered a problem from a sensitive data standpoint as well.  I just need Power BI reports that can access on-prem data which can be run by end users the same as regular paginated SSRS reports.

My question is, with my combination of software, subscriptions, and needs, am I covered to use Power BI Report Server on-premises to develop and host reports?  If not, what do I still need to purchase?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@johncpratt EE+SA gets you the Power BI Report Server (still not released). It sounds like you should be covered provided you continue that going forward. My understanding is that PBIRS will release sometime in the end of Q2.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@johncpratt EE+SA gets you the Power BI Report Server (still not released). It sounds like you should be covered provided you continue that going forward. My understanding is that PBIRS will release sometime in the end of Q2.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

I understood from online documentation that EE + SA gets you the report server for free. Just wondering what this means in the proposed best practice four-server topology of Power BI Report Server configuration. For which virtual machines would your require a SQL Server EE + SA and which could do with just SQL Server standard? Or would you just have to have 1 SQL Server with 8 cores and 32 GB (EE+SA) somewhere in you organisation to be able to install Power BI Report Server (Small) 8 Cores 32 GB?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors