Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Abevann
Helper III
Helper III

On-premises data gateway on AWS not updating

Guys,

I'm working in a Power BI report on a AWS EC2 server running Windows Server 2012 R2; everithing seems to work fine, we published and was able to see the report in Power BI. We instaled on-premises data gateway and seems up. We did a manual actualization and worked as well. The issue comes when we close the remote connection. It seems that everything stops and the update is not done. The request reports that the file (on the server) is not available and cannot be reached.

I'm assuming that the server is power down as soon as we stop the remote session... any advice in this issue? It seems to me that the change has to be done in the server configuration in order to have it working propertly, right?

Thanks, regards,

Abelardo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes that explains your issue now.

Please install enterprise gateway which gets installed on the server as a service.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Abevann
Helper III
Helper III

@nitishsh91 

So far so good, already 2 automatic actualizations.

Thanks, regards,

Abelardo

nitishsh91
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @Abevann 

Server on which your on-premises gateway is installed need to be kept on 24*7 if you have to refresh your reports on scheduled times.

I don't think gateway will work on EC2 isntance as it doesn't run 24*7 and you will have to be logged in to keep that session and machine alive.

Hey @nitishsh91 

Thanks for your reply; the instance runs 24*7, but the session is closed 15 minutes after the remote connection is closed. It seems that gateway can't open the session by it self. Is there a way to do so? We programmed the actualization to an specific hour and open a remote connection, and the automatic actualization was correctly done.

Thanks, regards. 

I have not specifically used Azure VM to host PowerBI on premises gateway and server is alwasy up and running which ensures gateway is up and running too.

Which version have you isntalled is it Personal mode or On-Premises gateway?

It gets installed as a windows service if its an on-premises gateway and creates a tunneling connection with PowerBI, have a look at below link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-onprem#:~:text=The%20on%2D....

We installed On-premises data gateway (personal mode)... I'l check the document, thanks

Yes that explains your issue now.

Please install enterprise gateway which gets installed on the server as a service.

I will and let you know the result,

Thanks, regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors