Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TahmidBari
Helper I
Helper I

On-premises Data Gateway - There was an error contacting an underlying data source

Hi PBI Team,

Please be advised that I am using the On-premises Data Gateway (v3000.138.3) and the PBI Paginated Report Builder (v15.7.1799.16). And I used Report Builder to migrate the SSRS reports publised into PBI Services. However, when I run the reports, I receive the following error message: Unable to render paginated report.

There was an error contacting an underlying data source. Manage your credentials or gateway settings on the management page. Please verify that the data source is available, your credentials are correct and that your gateway settings are valid.

Could you please let me know if I need to update the On-premises Data Gateway and PBI Paginated Report Builder to the most recent version? Thanks.

https://www.sqlshack.com/setting-up-power-bi-data-gateway/

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-app

TahmidBari_0-1683759065467.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I removed the data gateway from PBI services 

Oh.  You shouldn't do that. It will result in a new gateway ID.  

You will have to re-attach all your datasets to the new gateway and its new connections.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TahmidBari
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @lbendlin 
Yes, it was working previously, however after I re-configured the data gateway, it stopped operating.

I'm using the On-premises data gateway (standard mode v3000.170.8). Thanks.

TahmidBari_0-1683833637772.png

"re-configured"  - do you mean upgraded to 170.8 ?

Hi @lbendlin 

That's right. I removed the data gateway from PBI services and then upgraded it to 170.8. Unfortunately, I can no longer run those reports from PBI services. Thank you in advance for your advice.

I removed the data gateway from PBI services 

Oh.  You shouldn't do that. It will result in a new gateway ID.  

You will have to re-attach all your datasets to the new gateway and its new connections.

Hi @lbendlin 

Thank you for your reply. Yes, that's correct. I'll map the data gateway source to all of the reports I've published on power bi services. Thank you for your assistance.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Did it work before?  Which gateway version are you using?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors