Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Anonymous
Not applicable

On-premise DataGateway monthly upgrade

Hi

Is there any way to automate On-premises Data Gateways upgrade? so I can do it monthly with the latest version.

I do have one doc using PowerShell (PowerShell Cmdlets for On-premises data gateway management | Microsoft Docs) although this install the Gateway from scratch instead of update the existing installation.

Any idea?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

I'm afraid currently 'update gateway automatically' feature is not currently supported.

please vote the idea here.

Microsoft Idea · Gateway Update Notification and Auto update for Enterprise Gateway (powerbi.com)

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

JBartlett_DMU
Helper II
Helper II

Hi @Anonymous,

I just stumbled across your post while researching how to do exactly what you're asking about, and I couldn't find any instructions about it anywhere either. So I decided to just try and see what happens if I run
Install-DataGateway -AcceptConditions
on an existing gateway. Lo and behold, it upgraded the existing gateway to the latest version with no fuss. Microsoft really should update the documentation to say this cmdlet can be used to install OR upgrade.

Hope this helps!

James

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
JBartlett_DMU
Helper II
Helper II

Hi @Anonymous,

I just stumbled across your post while researching how to do exactly what you're asking about, and I couldn't find any instructions about it anywhere either. So I decided to just try and see what happens if I run
Install-DataGateway -AcceptConditions
on an existing gateway. Lo and behold, it upgraded the existing gateway to the latest version with no fuss. Microsoft really should update the documentation to say this cmdlet can be used to install OR upgrade.

Hope this helps!

James

On this. I logged a ticket with MS and using this cmdlet "Install-DataGateway -AcceptConditions" is supported for updating the gateway. The reason is just symantics. In MS eyes each new GW version is a fresh install therefore there is never a need to 'update' a gateway since each new release (e.g. July , August etc.) is a new install.

v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

I'm afraid currently 'update gateway automatically' feature is not currently supported.

please vote the idea here.

Microsoft Idea · Gateway Update Notification and Auto update for Enterprise Gateway (powerbi.com)

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.