Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

asaemart
Frequent Visitor

Office store approved and Power BI certified

Hi all,

We are having some troubles saving reports as Power Point format since we cannot visualize some custom visuals.

There is some information about that in: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-custom-visuals/

The custom visuals in the Office store fall into 2 categories: Office store approved and Power BI certified. Office store approved visuals can be run in browsers, reports, and dashboards. Power BI certified visuals have passed rigorous testing, and are supported in additional scenarios, such as email subscriptions, and export to PowerPoint.

In addition, we would like to know:

• Which is the criterion used to certify the approved custom visuals?
  • Is there any section within the Power BI store web in which we can check whether some custom visuals are certified or not?

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@asaemart There is a link in that same post right under the snippet you quoted. It leads to the certification page, and what it entails. At the end of the page, there is a list of the custom visuals that have been certified (3 currently). Throw that idea of adding that as a filter on the office store into the Ideas forum though, I totally agree there should be a filter in there to help find those in the store instead of some article.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@asaemart There is a link in that same post right under the snippet you quoted. It leads to the certification page, and what it entails. At the end of the page, there is a list of the custom visuals that have been certified (3 currently). Throw that idea of adding that as a filter on the office store into the Ideas forum though, I totally agree there should be a filter in there to help find those in the store instead of some article.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer - I have question on certified visuals and was hoping you might have an answer.

The list of power bi visuals avaiable in app source are build by both Microsoft and third party. Do you know if the Microsoft built visuals also need go through a certification process?

I see these 2 visuals in the appsource - Power KPI and Infographic Designer - both built by Microsoft. But only Power KPI is in the list of certified visuals. Does that mean that Inforgraphic Designer is not throughy tested and certified by Microsoft?

The reason i ask this question is because of the situation we are in. We built a power bi report using Cards with States visual and have hit a performance issue. When we raised a ticket with Microsoft, they blamed that the visual having performance issue. When we contacted the company that built visual, they blamed Microsoft power bi API which has a memory leaks.

Now we are trying to replace the visual and it has been decided to use only certified power bi visuals only - Infographic Designer is a good fit (performance is good). But since its not on the certified list, we might not be able to use it . 

Since its built by Microsoft itself, we are not certain if they will go through a process of certification. please let me know if you know anything about certification for MS build visuals.. Thanks in advance.

@rosirosss From my understanding all custom visuals are vetted/tested. The certified visuals have higher and more specific requirements because they can be used in other applications (Apps, PBIRS, etc) Those requirements can be found here. For your purposes, to avoid this back and forth I usually stick to MSFT built visuals, or more often than not, not using custom visuals at all if I can help it. If the info graphic works for you I would say use it, the path to correcting any issues would be with just MSFT in that case rather than involving a third party.

@Seth_C_Bauer thank you for your response. Agree with you on sticking to MSFT visuals to avoid any issues in future.

Just received an update from pbi custom visual support team that infograpgics visual is in queue for certification.. but no definite ETA though..

Thank you @Seth_C_Bauer,

that was exactly what we were looking for.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors