Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Missred
Regular Visitor

Office 365 - is Power BI Desktop still needed?

Hi

The organisation I am currently working for are beginning to use Power BI.

They use Office 365 and I've been advised to access Power BI Online though this.

However when using Power BI through Office 365 I do not have the functionality I am used to when using Power BI Desktop (e.g. the Transform and Load options, seeing M code etc).

It is normal to still also download Power BI Desktop or should I have all the functionality I need through Office 365?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

You still need Power BI Desktop for creating queries, creating table relationships, and writing measures. The online service is not meant as a dataset authoring tool. It can be used to create and edit reports based on existing datasets, content packs, and ready-made online connectors, but not for creating new customized datasets.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

and so as @KHorseman points out it is a 2 part solution; you continue to use Desktop as the development stage.  But your group already has the Service within their O365 license so they want you to upload to that - rather than I suppose set up your own separate Power BI Service and then have to pay your $10/mo.....

www.CahabaData.com
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

You still need Power BI Desktop for creating queries, creating table relationships, and writing measures. The online service is not meant as a dataset authoring tool. It can be used to create and edit reports based on existing datasets, content packs, and ready-made online connectors, but not for creating new customized datasets.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors