Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rbrocks
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

New UI change to remove colors from icons

This new UI that removes the colors from the icons in Power BI service is really awful. Many of our users are complaining about it. When you have a workspace with many different types of content, it is difficult to distinguish between all of them when they are all black and white. 

This change went into effect here last month and then randomly went back to normal. We were disappointed to find it back again. Please consider putting colors back into the icons at least. 

Users are also disappointed with losing the tab to filter to datasets/dataflows quickly. 

24 REPLIES 24
gemgorey
Advocate I
Advocate I

Nice to see this has been ever so slightly updated! Would have liked more of a colour distinction though, but it's better than nothing. 

So silly - 

Entire user base "put the icons back the way they were, we can't tell them apart"

MSFT "best we can do is make all of them white squares on a white background with a splash of color"

Agreed it is nice to see a slight improvement.  Contrasting colors or even the ability to change color theme altogether would be even better.  Keep trying, Microsoft, you'll get there.

v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rbrocks ,

Somme ideas similar with what you expect has been submitted in the following link, please vote it up and you can add comments, if a idea is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Microsoft Idea  - Bring Color Icons Back 

Microsoft Idea  - Colored icons in the new PowerBI service workspace layout 

Microsoft Idea  - Add colors to the icons in Power BI portal 

Microsoft Idea  - PBI Service Update Icons 

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

gabrielacaires
Regular Visitor

Our users are complaining a lot about this. It's now harder to find content and Apps colors and logos had a meaning to our users. Please revert this update.

cassidy
Power Participant
Power Participant

Interestingly, the same Workspace on a different machine still has the very pleasing old styling, almost as if the Browser/Windows OS is part of the equations.  The machine that still "works" is Windows Server 2016 on Chrome 112

armpowerbi2
Regular Visitor

Microsoft, please update/revert this monochrome + tiny icon change.

welday007
Frequent Visitor

PLEASE put the color back to distinguish between datasets and reports (sorry I don't remember what the actual colors were).  Please and thank you!

bvilten
Helper II
Helper II

If you feel like a little messing you can switch to opera GX and use the web modding to inject a CSS override

go to web modding in GX settings add a domain

app.powerbi.com add the following CSS

if it does not work past this into a text editor then into the CSS block.

[aria-label="Dataflow"] {
fill: white !important;
    border-radius: 3px;
    background-color: #99700a;
}
[aria-label="Datamart"] {
    background-color: #484644;
}
[aria-label="Dataset"] {
    background-color: #c94f0f;
}
[aria-label="Dataset (default)"] {
    background-color: #484644;
}
[aria-label="Report"] {
    background-color: #12239e;
}
[aria-label="Dashboard"] {
    background-color: #197278;
}
[aria-label="Workspace"] {
    background-color: #b60064;
}
[aria-label="App"] {
    background-color: #4668c5;
}

I use the extension "Stylus" and it works like a charm 🙂 just added the "paginated reports" to your list:

[aria-label="Paginated Report"] {
    background-color: #555555;
}

mcgilla
Advocate III
Advocate III

They actually did it again!   reverse it...reverse it now, its an absoulute UX disaster, my users have no idea whats going on, jesus just change it back.  Did you not learn from the feedback last time

gemgorey
Advocate I
Advocate I

I just came here to also moan at this! I also thought it was a bug and not a planned design change - Why would you remove the colours? It's hard to see anything now with them all being identical black icons. Also from inside an app now, we have lost the menu at the top to click and navigate back to the relevant workspace. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give us the option to change it back to the old UI. 

mfeyx

ctrl+z, please! this new design just does not work. some weeks ago you told us, the new colors are good for accessibility, and now you come up with this? come on, you can (and should) do better.

KiwiCBR6
Regular Visitor

It's not just the colour icons (which I hate!) ... it's the change in filter position & persistence.

Previously, just above the list of reports/datasets/dataflows, there were 3 options to select: All, Reports or Datasets/flows. Additionally, if you navigated away and came back, the filter option you had selected persisted.

Now, the options are a more granular filter (not necessarily a bad thing) but now I have to make 2 additional clicks to achieve the outcome I'm looking for (I want to view Datasets & Dataflows together) and if I navigate away and then come back the filters have reset to no filter!!!

There is lots of swearing going on here.

KiwiCBR6_0-1684891442112.png

I'm using Chrome Version 113.0.5672.127 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Windows 10 Enterprise, OS Build 19045.2965, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19041.1000.0

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

I also am not a fan of the new icons.

Good to know that the Power BI product team is already working on an updated version of the icons, changing it to colored icons.

I don't have a date, but it'll come.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

bvilten
Helper II
Helper II

Seriously??? Power BI has problems with query folding, data refresh, using enhanced compute, gateway issues,,,,,, and you spend time messing with a color schema. What are you thinking? Put it back and leave it alone.

Yondice
Advocate I
Advocate I

Agreed, this UI change is a step back. Thought they came to their senses last time when this was rolled back, so I'm very disappointed to see it return. It's now so needlessly difficult to differentiate between items in a workspace, and apps that previously showed their custom logos. Please at least give an option to use the old UI.

balafbm
Frequent Visitor

Requesting the PowerBI gods to at least give us the ability to change back to the previous layout. Please do not make this a permanent layout. This new UI is a massive step back, and makes it difficult to navigate to reports and datasets easily.

cassidy
Power Participant
Power Participant

Now showing in my Service, commenting to keep the thread going and get attention.  This is a major step back.  We've wanted Folders for 5+ years to make Workspace organizing better, this change just makes it even worse.

molveras

Please let us have the option to go back to the old layout. This new layout is a step back in UX

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors