Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aajinkyaa143
Regular Visitor

Need help to understand pricing $ for Copilot

Please help to understand how the power bi copilot pricing is in terms of $

Looking at the capacity utilization matrix, it's not very clear how much $ are charged for usage. 

Additional information

We have premium P1 capacity and Copilot is enabled in our tenant.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yilong-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @aajinkyaa143 ,

Currently, Copilot usage in Power BI is measured by the number of tokens processed. Tokens can be thought of as pieces of words, where approximately 1,000 tokens equate to about 750 words. 

Copilot usage billing is effective March 1, 2024, and it is now part of Power BI Premium, which means that using Copilot before that date will not incur additional costs beyond your current Power BI Premium subscription. You can read this document for more information: Copilot consumption - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Given that you have a Premium P1 capacity, your Copilot usage will count against this existing capacity once billing becomes effective. It's also beneficial to monitor your Copilot usage through the Fabric Capacity Metrics app, which displays total capacity usage for Copilot operations under "Copilot in Fabric." This can help you estimate future costs based on your current usage patterns.

Best Regards

Yilong Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yilong-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @aajinkyaa143 ,

Currently, Copilot usage in Power BI is measured by the number of tokens processed. Tokens can be thought of as pieces of words, where approximately 1,000 tokens equate to about 750 words. 

Copilot usage billing is effective March 1, 2024, and it is now part of Power BI Premium, which means that using Copilot before that date will not incur additional costs beyond your current Power BI Premium subscription. You can read this document for more information: Copilot consumption - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Given that you have a Premium P1 capacity, your Copilot usage will count against this existing capacity once billing becomes effective. It's also beneficial to monitor your Copilot usage through the Fabric Capacity Metrics app, which displays total capacity usage for Copilot operations under "Copilot in Fabric." This can help you estimate future costs based on your current usage patterns.

Best Regards

Yilong Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Jonvoge
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi aajinkyaa143

Copilot does not cost any additional $, but consumes Capacity Units from your Capacity. Hence, if you use it heavily, you may experience that the Capacity is maxed out, and you may consider expanding to a larger capacity.

If you are curious about how many Capacity Units is consumed, I find that the easiest way is to use the Capacity Metrics App, in which you can see the Copilot consumption as well: What is the Microsoft Fabric Capacity Metrics app? - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors