Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DRing
Helper V
Helper V

Need help / best practices with setting up workspaces

I'm part of a newly created small team in my company with the task of building Power BI reports for various users across the organization. For now, our primary users are our exectutive management team.

I'm trying to figure out how I should set up my workspaces to accomplish the following:

1. Provide a space where myself and others can collaboratively build reports.

2. A space where our executives can access final versions of reports and mobile versions of those reports.

Is there a standard way to set up work spaces so that our developers have access to what they need and our executives have access to the reports but don't icons for a report, dataset, and dashboard for single report?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @DRing 

The best way to do this is to create an App Workspace.

In the app workspace you add in the users who are part of your team with member or admin permissions.

You can create an App from your App Workspace. The Exec's then get added to the App (which they can view all the reports).

When you upload changes to the App Workspace those changes do not automatically flow through to the App. This means that you can upload your changes to the App Workspace, other users can view the changes. Finally if the changes are good to go, you can then update the App which will then show the new changes.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @DRing 

The best way to do this is to create an App Workspace.

In the app workspace you add in the users who are part of your team with member or admin permissions.

You can create an App from your App Workspace. The Exec's then get added to the App (which they can view all the reports).

When you upload changes to the App Workspace those changes do not automatically flow through to the App. This means that you can upload your changes to the App Workspace, other users can view the changes. Finally if the changes are good to go, you can then update the App which will then show the new changes.

Power BI Blog

Thanks so much @GilbertQ . As a follow up, what would determine the need for more than one workspace? Wanting the same users to have different access levels across different work spaces? Too many reports in a single workspace? Wanting to segment reports ( workspace for sales, workspace for operations, workspace for finance, etc)? Something else? I'm trying to understand if one workspace is sufficient for my needs. 

Hi @DRing 

You can use App Audiences to only show certain reports for certain users.

Somtimes it is easier to have different app workspaces as you say for Sales and Finance. 

I would recommend always trying to understand why there is a requirement for another app workspace.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors