Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mattiaseriksson
Regular Visitor

Multiple gatways in the same tenat

Hi

I'm helping a client introducing Power BI on a broad and managed scale. One issue is that the client has several internal networks with firewalls between them. I would like to install one gateway in each network to allow for access to data sources within each network. Is it possible to have several gateways on different networks within the same tenant where the same user has access to data sources through several different gateways?

Or is my only option to open the firewall between the networks?

Thanks!

Mattias

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @mattiaseriksson

You can certainly install multiple Gateways in one tenant, even in the same network.

Here is a blog post by Kasper De Jonge (Who works at Microsoft) explaining how the Gateways work and how to use it in a larger scale environments.

Enterprise gateway sizing “recommendations”

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ@mattiaseriksson Installation of multiple gateways gets you balanced load, but doesn't help if the datasources are silo'd but used together in the same report. Let me explain:

Gateway 1 - connected to DataSource A, B, C

Gateway 2 - connected to DataSource D, E, F

Gateways 3 - 100 All with different datasources

All of the above is perfectly acceptable, and depending on load, a good solution as described in the blog.

Where it falls apart is if the use case includes a report that requires the use of DataSource A and E together in the same report. When the PBIX is published the dataset will not be available fo refresh because while the datasources will be active and working on the gateways, they are seperate gateways. Both A and E would have to be registered on the same gateway. This is a current limitation of the Power BI Gateways.

This was the point of my previous post. hope that clarifies.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@mattiaseriksson If you need to connect to data sources that are only referenced in different gateways then you can't currently do this. All the data sources in a PBIX/dataset need to refresh from the same gateway.

If all the gateway data sources are independant, or only come from their area, then it should work.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors