Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jakobs
Regular Visitor

Multiple Gateways on the Same Server

Hi,

I have seen a lot of articles about this topic, but they were posted a few years ago and now I am wondering if there is any update on this topic. Is there any way to have multiple gateways on the same server? If not, does anyone have experiences with installing Power BI gateway on Kubernetes cluster or Docker continer? Can it be done, and if there is any documention on that?

I want to reduce the number of VMs at our company, since we need to create a new VM for every customer to install Gateway on it.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings,

Domen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Regarding running Power BI Gateway in Kubernetes or Docker, according to my knowledge, Microsoft didn't officially support running Power BI Gateway in containerized environments. However, the technology landscape evolves rapidly, and it's possible that there are updates or changes.

Here is some general suggestion: 

Check Official Documentation: Always refer to the official Microsoft Power BI Gateway documentation for the latest information on system requirements, installation guidelines, and support policies.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Chwayita-Momoza
Helper II
Helper II

Microsoft Power BI Gateway is designed to be a single service per machine. Each instance of the gateway is intended to serve a specific set of data sources and reports. Therefore, running multiple instances of Power BI Gateway on the same server is not officially supported.

jakobs
Regular Visitor

Ok, thanks. Yeah I figured that there is not going to be much on this topic.

How about installing GW to Kubernetes or Docker. Does this work? Or any other suggestions?

Regarding running Power BI Gateway in Kubernetes or Docker, according to my knowledge, Microsoft didn't officially support running Power BI Gateway in containerized environments. However, the technology landscape evolves rapidly, and it's possible that there are updates or changes.

Here is some general suggestion: 

Check Official Documentation: Always refer to the official Microsoft Power BI Gateway documentation for the latest information on system requirements, installation guidelines, and support policies.

Ok, thank you. I'll check the documentation.

Chwayita-Momoza
Helper II
Helper II

Microsoft Power BI Gateway is designed to be a single service per machine. Each instance of the gateway is intended to serve a specific set of data sources and reports. Therefore, running multiple instances of Power BI Gateway on the same server is not officially supported.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors