Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

moonlit337
Helper II
Helper II

More than one ReportGuid for a report

I am making a custom Usage Metric report based on the old usage metric dataset. But in my custom report, all my view counts are doubled compared to the number shown in the default usage metric. When I checked deeper, I found that for each report "DisplayName", there are 2 "ReportGuid". So when I select a slicer based on the display name, it takes the number from both ReportGuid, essentially doubling the number. I can confirm for that "Homepage" report as shown below, there's only one report being published.

My questions are:

1. why are there 2 ReportGuids for the same report?

2. How can I identify which one to use based on the display name (since filtering using ReportGuid is not friendly)

moonlit337_2-1658887293175.png

moonlit337_1-1658887214326.png

8 REPLIES 8
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Have a look at the other columns.

There should be an activity column (at least there is if you pull data from rest api). Filter that to ViewReport. 

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

I'm not using REST API, so there's no "activity" column (I checked both old and new version of the report). How will this activity column help me to identify which ReportGuid to use?

Afraid I'm not familiar with the dataset but fairly certain there will be something that identifies what the action was or the type of item.

Can you open the original report that gives correct numbers and see what filters are applied?

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

The default usage metric (that gives the correct number) already auto-filter the ReportGuid for that particular report. As far as I check there's no other relevant filters applied, so this is the only difference with my custom report.

v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @moonlit337 ,

1. When you publish to Power BI Service, there will be two Report with the same name. The blue icon shows the report, which shows the Visual you made in Power BI Desktop.

vyangliumsft_0-1659068266883.png

Another red icon shows the dataset used by this report.

vyangliumsft_1-1659068266887.png

2. There are two display names in your table because the following field ReportGuid displays different data, so in order to distinguish, it will be grouped by [display name] and [ReportGuid], so two will be displayed display name.

If you put only one display name, it will only be grouped by [display name], only the first one.

vyangliumsft_2-1659068266887.png

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yangliu-msft ,

The main issue is not that there's more than one DisplayName being shown, the issue is each ReportGuid has it's own view count, so if I make a chart just based on DisplayName, the 2 numbers will add up together, making it bigger than it actually is.

Custom report:

moonlit337_1-1659336036665.png

Default report:

moonlit337_4-1659336318240.png

moonlit337_2-1659336130343.png

I want to know how to identify which ReportGuid should I use (aside from comparing one-by-one with the default Usage Metric report for each report). Note that here I'm only showing one report, there's more than 10 in total, so I'd like to have a more efficient way to identify which to include.

Were you able to find a solution for this issue? I'm also getting two different guids for the same report.

I don't think so, it was a while back. I think I ended up just getting the ReportGuid manually one by one.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

February 2024 Update Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - February 2024

Check out the February 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Fabric Career Hub

Microsoft Fabric Career Hub

Explore career paths and learn resources in Fabric.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors