Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MEFOX
Helper III
Helper III

Monthly Azure fees associated with refreshes

I have a pay as you go subscription to Azure. I noticed that the Power BI reports written with Direct Query have been scheduled to refresh every hour. Does anyone know if this could be adding to my monthly Azure subscription costs?  Is there any point to a scheduled refresh if the Power BI report is written as Direct Query? 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Shahfaisal
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

It all depends on your Azure subscription.

1. If you are using Power BI Pro, there would be no additional cost to refresh hourly (though there are limitations on how many times you can refresh in a day)

2. If you are using Direct Query, you don't need to refresh the data since Power BI is directly interacting with data in the database.

3. If you are using a database as part of your Azure subscription, depending on how the subscription is setup, you might incur cost for querying the database using Power BI.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MEFOX
Helper III
Helper III

I'm getting this message when I open a PBI reportd with direct query. I don't understand why?

MEFOX_0-1653320586942.png

@MEFOX wrote:

I'm getting this message when I open a PBI reportd with direct query. I don't understand why?

MEFOX_0-1653320586942.png

Please create another forum post since this is a new/separate topic/question. Power BI Service will disable refresh if the report hasn't been used for a long time. See below.

After two months of inactivity, scheduled refresh on your dataset is paused. A dataset is considered inactive when no user has visited any dashboard or report built on the dataset. At that time, the dataset owner is sent an email indicating the scheduled refresh is paused. The refresh schedule for the dataset is then displayed as disabled. To resume scheduled refresh, simply revisit any dashboard or report built on the dataset.

Shahfaisal
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

It all depends on your Azure subscription.

1. If you are using Power BI Pro, there would be no additional cost to refresh hourly (though there are limitations on how many times you can refresh in a day)

2. If you are using Direct Query, you don't need to refresh the data since Power BI is directly interacting with data in the database.

3. If you are using a database as part of your Azure subscription, depending on how the subscription is setup, you might incur cost for querying the database using Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors