Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

piotr_szczerba

Microsoft Fabric Free License question

Hello,

Can person with Microsoft Fabric Free license (assigned to his AD account) can be an premium workspace administrator and can create fabric items?
Currently we are building Fabric platform. There is an Fabric Capacity with F2 Sku and some workspaces assigned to it. I was wondering if I invite my team members (who have the Microsoft Fabric Free license) to the workspace and grant them admin roles will they be able to perform all the operations there? Or they need to be granted with some kind of premium licenses?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I think it should work. I'm currently working with Microsoft Fabric Free users as Contributors of a Workspace with Fabric capacity. The free users can handle any Fabric content (pipelines, notebooks, etc). The content they can't modify is the Power Bi one, like semantic model, reports, etc.

Make sure the users are considered at the Tenant Settings for letting them Create Fabric Content. That's the only permission they might need.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

mihart
Employee
Employee

The Premium licenses (ppu and Pro) only apply to working in the Power BI workload. For the other workloads, a Fabric free license is the only license needed. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mihart
Employee
Employee

The Premium licenses (ppu and Pro) only apply to working in the Power BI workload. For the other workloads, a Fabric free license is the only license needed. 

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I think it should work. I'm currently working with Microsoft Fabric Free users as Contributors of a Workspace with Fabric capacity. The free users can handle any Fabric content (pipelines, notebooks, etc). The content they can't modify is the Power Bi one, like semantic model, reports, etc.

Make sure the users are considered at the Tenant Settings for letting them Create Fabric Content. That's the only permission they might need.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors