Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bryanshaw46
Resolver I
Resolver I

Merged Queries not working in Dataflow and Datamart

We have on-premises gateways that are clustered.   We have data from a lot of data sources.  Some of these are large and some small.

When we try to do dataflows or datamarts using merged queries, they fail to refresh.  This is especially true when the data is from 2 different SQL Servers.

Things we have tried:

Designating a gateway that is not clustered.

Using the same signon credentials.

Made sure the data is small.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bryanshaw46
Resolver I
Resolver I

Solution - Get your data into the workspace storage first.  Just get the data, no transformations.  I label these stageTablename.

Make a reference to the stage tables, these will appear with a lightning bolt icon and are called Computed Tables.  Dataflows will stage all of your data before doing anything with Computed Tables.

Do all of your tranformations in the Computed Tables.  Perform merged queries with Computed Tables only.

Dataflows are an ETL tool.  Extract your data, transform it, then load it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
bryanshaw46
Resolver I
Resolver I

Solution - Get your data into the workspace storage first.  Just get the data, no transformations.  I label these stageTablename.

Make a reference to the stage tables, these will appear with a lightning bolt icon and are called Computed Tables.  Dataflows will stage all of your data before doing anything with Computed Tables.

Do all of your tranformations in the Computed Tables.  Perform merged queries with Computed Tables only.

Dataflows are an ETL tool.  Extract your data, transform it, then load it.

bryanshaw46
Resolver I
Resolver I

More details:

Error: On-Prem execution not supported for entity '<ccon>a6a80582aca3/SiteControl</ccon>' since it refers to another entity.. Param1 = <ccon>bb45da6a80582aca3/SiteControl</ccon> Request ID: b18587d5-8ab9-ef2d-5dad-57e2826fd237.

What does this mean?  How can I use it to figure out what is wrong?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors