Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RichHead1821
Resolver I
Resolver I

Lineage in workspace shows unused connections

Incredibly confusing and alarming at first, when I view the lineage of the dataflows and datasets in a workspace, old connections are shown, even though all dataflows and datasets no longer use those connections. Is there a way to refresh the view so the old ones disappear?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RichHead1821 ,

As far as I know so far, the problem is not resolved. Then only way to remove obsolete data sources is to export and reimport the dataflow (as JSON). But that will break any downstream usage.Detail  workaround is to export the dataflow as json, delete the dataflow and then reimport the json to a new dataflow. When to do this, the lineage diagram correctly shows just a single datasource for the dataflow. Of course this breaks every single usage of the dataflow, so in a high-usage scenario this would be unacceptible.

Similar case refer:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Lineage-view-old-source-still-visible-for-data-flow/m-p/179... 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Best Regards

Lucien

View solution in original post

EG151
Frequent Visitor

One thing that I did to remove old SQL connections on a dataflow was when EDITing the existing table on the dataflow, I went into OPTIONS > PROJECT OPTIONS, changed the DATA GATEWAY to "(none)", clicked OK. 

I then received a "Credentials are required to connect to the SQL source" error message on the query. 

I went back into OPTIONS > PROJECT OPTIONS, changed the DATA GATEWAY back to the correct gateway that contains the connection.

Received a "We could not evaluate this query due to invalid or missing credentials" message.

Clicked on CONFIGURE CONNECTION...the connection to my correct gateway popped up, I clicked on CONNECT, and then clicked on SAVE and CLOSE. 

After the validation completed and I closed the power query editor screen and dataflow, the lineage view no longer contains the old connections and it only contains the current active connection.

I did this successfully on 20+ dataflows that recently had a SQL server change (same query, just new server name).

Hopefully this helps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
EG151
Frequent Visitor

One thing that I did to remove old SQL connections on a dataflow was when EDITing the existing table on the dataflow, I went into OPTIONS > PROJECT OPTIONS, changed the DATA GATEWAY to "(none)", clicked OK. 

I then received a "Credentials are required to connect to the SQL source" error message on the query. 

I went back into OPTIONS > PROJECT OPTIONS, changed the DATA GATEWAY back to the correct gateway that contains the connection.

Received a "We could not evaluate this query due to invalid or missing credentials" message.

Clicked on CONFIGURE CONNECTION...the connection to my correct gateway popped up, I clicked on CONNECT, and then clicked on SAVE and CLOSE. 

After the validation completed and I closed the power query editor screen and dataflow, the lineage view no longer contains the old connections and it only contains the current active connection.

I did this successfully on 20+ dataflows that recently had a SQL server change (same query, just new server name).

Hopefully this helps.

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RichHead1821 ,

As far as I know so far, the problem is not resolved. Then only way to remove obsolete data sources is to export and reimport the dataflow (as JSON). But that will break any downstream usage.Detail  workaround is to export the dataflow as json, delete the dataflow and then reimport the json to a new dataflow. When to do this, the lineage diagram correctly shows just a single datasource for the dataflow. Of course this breaks every single usage of the dataflow, so in a high-usage scenario this would be unacceptible.

Similar case refer:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Lineage-view-old-source-still-visible-for-data-flow/m-p/179... 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Best Regards

Lucien

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors