Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rampoosarla

License required for viewing PowerBI report embeded in SharePoint Online

Hi I am new to Power BI licences, so I want to understand how it works.

I have Power BI Pro licence and I have created a report and embeded the report into one of the SharePoint online sites and I have added people who want to view (but dose not have pro licence) to the workspace and also added them to access of report. But people are not able to see the report.

The place where it is embeded is asking for people to get PowerBI Pro licence. From what I have read online people should not require PowerBI licence to see it, please let me know if I have done anyting wrong.

@lbendlin  @Greg_Deckler 

@amitchandak

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You need a premium workspace. You need to publish the app. You need to grab the report link from the app ( not from the workspace).

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @rampoosarla 

To try and simply state the licence rules,  it depends on where the Report is published.

• If published to a Pro workspace, any viewing access requires a Pro licence or PPU licence.
  • If published to a PPU workspace, viewing access requires a PPU licence.
  • If published to a Premium Capacity workspace, viewing access requires a Free, or Pro, or PPU licence.

So in your case, if published to a Pro workspace, users will need a Pro licence to view the Report or Dashboard, no matter how it is shared with them.

Every users needs a licence of some sort to view Power BI content. If the organisation has a Premium Capacity licence and the content shared is on a Premium Capacity Workspace they can acess it with a Free licence, all others need at least a Pro licence.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors