Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just started this week - DATAFLOW table does not show up in Power BI desktop

Team,

Starting this week ~11/14/19, when creating a new DATAFLOW table, we cannot see it when trying to use GET DATA>DATAFLOW in Power BI desktop. We can see the DATAFLOW folder, but nothing shows underneath the folder when double clicking or refreshing it. Previously created DATAFLOWS (<11/14/19) are visible and OK. 

I know there was a lot of functionality pushed for DATAFLOW this week, so I am wondering if this is related?

Any ideas?

Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Team,

Confirmed that it is a date field issue, once I changed the date field (which showed UNCLASSIFIED) to TEXT in the DATAFLOW, then I was able to see the table and import it into Power BI desktop. I then changed the TEXT > DATE.

Jim

View solution in original post

48 REPLIES 48
maxxxm
Frequent Visitor

We have encountered this issue with one of our project since yesterday. 

there should be four tables in a dataflow, all set on incremental refresh.

and it used to work for a week of testing runs. 

All the sudden broke, due to one table missing from dataflow when connected by subsequent datasets. 

which cause chain of effect to downstream dependences. 

Is this somthing to do with latest update in Nov2022?

when could this be fixed?

I have the same issue today

PerrigoNVanLent
Frequent Visitor

In the support ticket I have with Microsoft, they said the fix should be ready on Friday (the 22nd) or today.

The issue is still not fixed!

I've not had a chance to fully test it, but I think that if you click to "edit" the entities, and then save and refresh, they now appear ok.

Bit of a pain if you have lots of different Dataflows, but it's better than it was!

Thanks I can confirm the same finding/solution as above (Edit entity, Save and Close, Refresh).  Not perfect but allows me to proceed with our data now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree with this.  Did the same steps and my 18 minute refresh takes less than 3 mins now.  

Does anyone have an update on whether the DATE fields can be switched back from TEXT to DATE?  I believe that was the key issue and workaround on this thread.

@mgreezMSFT tells me that they have resolved the issue. Are you still seeing date type as unclassifed? My case has been resloved. 

@ereza  Sorry for the late response, just got back from PTO.

I removed all the Dataflow steps to convert Datetime to String and it is working as expected.  I'll check back in the morning to confirm the scheduled refreshes work as expected

Anonymous
Not applicable

Resurfacing this issue. We are currently hitting issues where DATE type columns show up with ERROR when trying to consume them in either Power BI desktop, OR as linked entities in another dataflow. Looks like Microsoft has broken something again with date fields.

😞

Scott

Anonymous
Not applicable

p.s. opening a ticket too, will post updates as I get them.

Thanks,

Scott

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous    We had this issue today as well- we changed the data type Date to "DateTime" and it resolved. Good Luck!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Anonymous , unfortunately we've got pre-existing dataflows and we can't just go into them and change them all to date/time. It would break all of the downstream PBIX files that load them.

On the phone with Microsoft now, will post an update shortly....

Scott

Anonymous
Not applicable

FYI, just got off the phone with Microsoft, this is apparently a known issue. The MS support person is going to update me on whether there's an expected fix date yet or not...I'll post as soon as I hear.

Hope Microsoft spends a bit more time doing integration testing in the future to make sure simple things like date fields don't break.

Thanks,

Scott

Hi

You need to update the PBI desktop to the latest version. This solves the problem
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @ereza  - this issue is definitely a problem in the Power BI service. On support call with Microsoft we already tested this, and noted that 1) I am on the latest version of desktop, and 2) I'm able to recreate the issue completely within the Power BI service, without desktop being involved at all. 

It seems to be limited to certain types of data connections - in our case, we're refreshing from SQL server.

I'll send an update when the issue is resolved. This is a known issue within Microsoft.

Thanks,

Scott

FYI one of our users had same issue (cannot see table in Dataflows), and resolved by upgrading to latest Desktop version.

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @chaz2jerry , our issue is actually slightly different. The issue isn't that we can't see the dataflows in PBI desktop. We see the dataflows fine - but any "date" column in them shows up throwing an error. We see the same thing if we (for example) try to use the dataflow as a linked entity in another dataflow.

The error we get is essentially "we can not format 12/31/2019 00:00:00" as a date column". For some reason, the .txt file that dataflows are using behind the scenes are including the time portion for date only fields.

Hope this helps,

Scott

I still so no resolution to this problem.  I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this, but my queries no longer seem to returning correct results.  This started on Nov-12.  I think the problem is the merge is not working. But my query refreshes each day, should return the same results and doesn't.  I think there a bigger problems here than just the date-to-text problem.  

Is anyone else seeing wrong results with their power queries in dataflows?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors