Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

wookietreiber
Frequent Visitor

Issues with Data Source Connection After Moving Gateway to Server

Hello Power BI Community,

I'm facing a challenge after transitioning our Power BI gateway from a personal computer (in personal mode) to a server, and I'm seeking some guidance to resolve it.

Background:

• The gateway was initially operating on my local PC using personal mode, connected to Power BI reports via an ODBC connection, which worked without issues.
  • Recently, we migrated the gateway to a server setup. After logging into my Power BI account on the server, the Power BI online interface shows the new device with the gateway status as "online."

Problem:

• Following the migration, our existing data source connections ceased to function.
  • When trying to establish a new connection, no options appear in the gateway dropdown menu.

wookietreiber_0-1718288833221.png

wookietreiber_1-1718288871983.png

No option available here

wookietreiber_2-1718288901996.png

Questions:

1. Are there specific configuration steps that might have been overlooked during the migration of the gateway to the server?
  2. Is it necessary for the Microsoft account used on the server to match the one associated with the Power BI service? Currently, these accounts differ.
  3. Could there be server settings or permissions adjustments required to restore the connection capabilities of the gateway?
  4. Does Power BI need to be installed on the server itself, or is it sufficient to have the gateway installed?
  5. Is it necessary to refresh and re-upload a report on the server to re-establish a new connection?

I would appreciate any insights or suggestions you might have as I work through resolving this issue. Thank you very much for your assistance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey! Thank you for your posting, it was indeed the the Personal Gateway. But that was not the matter. It was indeed needed to download PowerBI Desktop on the server and upload a report. At least, after that it worked.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Wikkleyn_81
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @wookietreiber Did you install teh Personal or Enterprise gateway on the server? If I look at the screenshot, it is a Personal gateway. Please install the Enterprise gateway and recreate the ODBC connection.

Hey! Thank you for your posting, it was indeed the the Personal Gateway. But that was not the matter. It was indeed needed to download PowerBI Desktop on the server and upload a report. At least, after that it worked.

SaiTejaTalasila
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @wookietreiber ,

You can restart your gateway and check.If still it's not working then you can check ODBC configuration and you can test it on your gateway machine and see whether it is successful or not.

Thanks,

Sai Teja 

Hey Sai,

Thank you for your response! I restarted the Gateway and tested the ODBC connection on the gateway machine, but unfortunately, it still doesn’t seem to work.

I'm puzzled why the gateway is recognized in one tab but can’t be selected when trying to establish a new connection. As far as I understand, this should not be affected by any existing connection settings, right?

Thank you very much for your help!

Hi @wookietreiber ,

Is that gateway showing under on-premises data gateways.Check with both the accounts you have.I suspect -May be you have created gateway with one account and you are using other account with service.This other account don't have access to the gateway so, it's not showing up.

There might be an issue the configuration too, you refer this-https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Service/Gateway-is-not-detected-by-Power-BI-service/m-p/1468622

Thanks,

Sai Teja 

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.