Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MVeatch
Frequent Visitor

Is there impacts to reports using dataflows in another workspace I want to setup Deployment Pipeline

Hi,  I have 1 workspace dedicated to published reports.  These reports utilize dataflows which sit in a seperate workspace.  I want to setup deployment pipelines for only the worksapce that stores all of our dataflows.  My question is will the existing published reports in our other workspace be impacted if I setup deployment pipelines on my workspace that stores the dataflows which are what is referenced in my publisehd reports (which are on their own seperate workspace)?  Will the existing connections in the published reports just default to the dataflows in the production dataflows in the workspace I want to setup deployment pipelines on or will I need to go through and update the reports in the other workspace to the reference the dataflows in production section of the workspace once I setup the deployment pipelines?  My hope is that there is no impact but I don't want to test the theory since we have a large # of published reports using those dataflows.  I'm hoping someone has attempted this and can let me know what to expect.

Recap:

Published Report in a workspace utilizing dataflows in another workspace...will my published reports be impacted in the other workspace if I setup deployment pipelines on the workspace that houses the dataflows those reports connect to?   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MVeatch ,

Setting up deployment pipelines for the workspace that stores your dataflows should not impact the published reports in the other workspace. However, there are some limitations and known issues with dataflows and deployment pipelines.

When you deploy a dataflow for the first time, you become the target dataflow owner, and you will need to set data source credentials and refresh the dataflow once it's deployed. Deployment pipelines do not support deployment of linked entities from dataflows located in the same workspace, but this capability will be added in the future.

It's important to be aware of these limitations and potential issues when setting up deployment pipelines for your dataflows. However, as long as you follow the recommended practices and address any issues that arise, your published reports should not be negatively impacted.

Please refer to the following documents for more information.

The Power BI deployment pipelines process - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Deployment Pipelines and Dataflows - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MVeatch ,

Setting up deployment pipelines for the workspace that stores your dataflows should not impact the published reports in the other workspace. However, there are some limitations and known issues with dataflows and deployment pipelines.

When you deploy a dataflow for the first time, you become the target dataflow owner, and you will need to set data source credentials and refresh the dataflow once it's deployed. Deployment pipelines do not support deployment of linked entities from dataflows located in the same workspace, but this capability will be added in the future.

It's important to be aware of these limitations and potential issues when setting up deployment pipelines for your dataflows. However, as long as you follow the recommended practices and address any issues that arise, your published reports should not be negatively impacted.

Please refer to the following documents for more information.

The Power BI deployment pipelines process - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Deployment Pipelines and Dataflows - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors