Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

apagel
Regular Visitor

Is there a way to disable/re-enable all refreshes at once?

Greetings,

My organization has decided to move from Tableau to BI, and I'm trying to facilitate the transition (thankfully I have until next May and we only have about 400 users). I don't have any prior BI experience, but most of it seems pretty straightforward. However, I've run into what could be an issue with refreshes. In Tableau, admins can group refreshes of different datasets together and run/schedule all of them at the same time. I currently use this feature to disable multiple refreshes at once whenever server maintenance is scheduled (so I don't get hundreds of emails notifying me of the failed refreshes). Is there a way to do this in BI? If not, is there a way to at least turn off notifications of failed refreshes?

If it matters, my datasets are all in Oracle and I set up an on-premises gateway to connect. There appears to be an option to turn the gateway off, but it prompts a message that it will remove the datasets.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @apagel 

All that you will need to do is to stop the On-premise gateway service.

Then in the Power BI Service it will show the gateway as offline. When the On-Premise gateway is offline it will not be able to refresh any datasets.

When you restart the On-Premise service, everything will start refreshing again as per the schedules.

It is only if you uninstall the On-Premise gateway that you will remove your datasource settings.

Also make sure to keep a copy of the recovery key when installing the Gateway server. This will help you recover all your data sources if you need to re-install the On-Premise Gateway.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @apagel 

All that you will need to do is to stop the On-premise gateway service.

Then in the Power BI Service it will show the gateway as offline. When the On-Premise gateway is offline it will not be able to refresh any datasets.

When you restart the On-Premise service, everything will start refreshing again as per the schedules.

It is only if you uninstall the On-Premise gateway that you will remove your datasource settings.

Also make sure to keep a copy of the recovery key when installing the Gateway server. This will help you recover all your data sources if you need to re-install the On-Premise Gateway.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there an alternative to this if I'm more concerned with being able to turn them all back on than being able to turn them off? Often we'll have maintenance nights where all reports fail refresh a few times throughout the night and then get disabled. It would be awesome to turn them all back on at once after this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors