Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sljdsg

Invited Guests cannot view PowerBI dataset

Good Day,
We are trying to share our PowerBI dataset to some Invited Guest users. The Invited Guests were invited via our Azure AD and they have accepted the invites. Some have been licensed with PowerBI Pro and some PowerBI Free in our Office 365/Azure environment. When they click on the link to access they do not see the dataset.
Maybe instead of inviting them as a Guest into our Azure AD I should find a way to license them in their own environment (they have never purchased licenses in their tenant yet).
I do have access to both Azure AD environment

4 REPLIES 4
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@sljdsg 

When you send the link generated from a report to the user, you can view the relevant content of the report. You need to send the tenant url to the user so that they can see the workspace and view the data set in it.

In the top menu of the Power BI service, select Help (? ), and then select About Power BI. , Copy Tenant Url.

Vpazhenmsft_1-1629879837395.png

This is the related document, you can view this content:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/whitepaper-azure-b2b-power-bi#enabling-external-u...

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

sljdsg

Thank you for the reply. When they authenticate with their Invited Guest user account they do not see any workspaces. When I go to the Power BI Admin portal and look at the work space that we are trying to give them access to I see them as having access (admin access to that workspace even).

Hi @sljdsg 

What happens if you send them the link to the report/app, what happens then?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @sljdsg 

Just to confirm that you have added those external users to either sharing or an App?

What happens if you send them the link directly?

Also can you confirm under manage permissions on the dataset that you can see the external/guest users with at least read permissions?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors