Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

T-1000
Regular Visitor

Internal Users Cannot Access Dashboard

This may be a 365 issue, but I have recently joined a new business and have implemented Power BI.

When I publish and share the link, the users are prompted to sign in, usually this would be whatever username/password combo they use to log into their PC. However when they enter these details, they are told that their password or username is incorrect.

How do I get around this one? Would I need to reset all of their 365 passwords?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

A free license will unfornuatately not suffice, all secure sharing requires a paid license of sorts. I'm guessing the error they get is that they are not properly licensed, so yes, I think a pro license would fix it. Try giving one user a pro license and see if that fixes the issue (you definately wont be able to share reports to non-licensed users under any circumstance other than sharing it as a public link (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-publish-to-web)).

So a requirement for sharing content is:

1. Users need a Pro license
  2. Using Premium capacity (expensive)
  3. Or other dedicated capacity (e.g. A or EM sku)

Option 2 or 3 is only relevant if you have many users and option 3 will require some extra setup (and only relevant from around 50 users and upwards).

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
nsc
Advocate II
Advocate II

There is no need to reset passwords, that cannot be the issue. How have you publised the report? 

Do all the users have a Power BI Pro license or is this the first time they are using Power BI? Are you using other Office 365 products and do they work?

T-1000
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the reply, most of them are new to Power BI so won't have a licence just yet and I am publishing to an app I created, in which I have granted access to the relevant users.

I have assigned them the free version of PBI in 365, would buying pro licences fix this?

@T-1000 - My company has often used trial licenses when we're temporarily out of pro-licenses to bridge the gap and get them access to reports until we're able to get them a permanent one. I don't see why this shouldn't work.

A free license will unfornuatately not suffice, all secure sharing requires a paid license of sorts. I'm guessing the error they get is that they are not properly licensed, so yes, I think a pro license would fix it. Try giving one user a pro license and see if that fixes the issue (you definately wont be able to share reports to non-licensed users under any circumstance other than sharing it as a public link (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-publish-to-web)).

So a requirement for sharing content is:

1. Users need a Pro license
  2. Using Premium capacity (expensive)
  3. Or other dedicated capacity (e.g. A or EM sku)

Option 2 or 3 is only relevant if you have many users and option 3 will require some extra setup (and only relevant from around 50 users and upwards).

Hope that helps

T-1000
Regular Visitor

The users were on Power BI (Free) not Power BI Pro free trial.

Problem solved, thanks mate.

T-1000
Regular Visitor

Cheers, I'll let you know if this works.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors