Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jp23
Frequent Visitor

Incremental Refresh Fails When More Than 6 Months

Hello Community -

We have several dataflows that are setup to for incremental refresh based on various web API's with store rows from the past 1 year and refresh frows from the past 5 days. They all work, except for one specific API which doesn't seem to want to allow to go past 6 months for 'store rows from the past', it sometimes spins forever (10+ hours) and sometimes just fails with a message stating "make your dataset smaller".  Because the API limits the results at 100 rows per request on this particular dataflow, I suspect it's a timeout issue but can't really pinpoint the issue based on the refresh history logs, they are very vague. This should return around a million rows when all said and done for the first import.

Could this be related to our workload settings for the workspace? For example, we have the following configuration setup:

- Query memory Limit -> 0%

- Query Timeout -> 3600

- Max Intermdiate Row Count -> 100000

- Max Result Row Count -> 2147483647

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
jp23
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your response! Yes, we have contacted the vendor and they pointed back to a Power Bi timeout value. They ensured there is no timeout or rate limiting on the endpoint.

I've tried different variations of [Timeout=#duration(0, 0, 0, 30) with no success. After the first 6 months of data (approx ~1 hour) the following 6 months of data goes on for an endless duration until it eventually fails (sometimes 7+ hours).

sdk88

Hello @jp23 

To me it appears like if API is fast enough to provide response then next layer is consuming data in PBI. I am assuming there is lots of data and processing it as for M Query for table may be requring time.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @jp23 

What it could be is that the API you are calling has got a timeout limit too, and because you have to call it 100 rows at a time it could be the issue.

Because it is working for other APIs, there is certainly no issue with what you have done or the PBI settings. I would look to contact this particular API and see if there is anyway to overcome this?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors