Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

F2
Frequent Visitor

I want to publish my power bi desktop reports?

I am working on power bi desktop for visualizations. I have SQL server dataset which is on my local machine. I have connected the Data using import connection mode of power bi and loaded the data set into my power bi desktop. I have installed gateway to make connection of my on premises dataset to the power bi service. I have successfully made the connection as well. But when I come to publish my reports It never gets published (taking ages to publish) and just keeps loading for hours that will get published but they never get published. When I connect the dataset using Query mode connection the reports get published but I cannot further create calculated tables and play with measures and columns effectively. While in Import connection mode I can do everything except publishing my reports. Please provide me some solution to this. I really need help please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
F2
Frequent Visitor

I have found out the solution it was my mistake working on the workspace (My Workspace) provided by power bi service which has some kind of limitations in it that we cannot create dataflows and some other options too. 
So i had to create another workspace. And it worked perfectly fine 
Thank you all for your help

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
F2
Frequent Visitor

I have found out the solution it was my mistake working on the workspace (My Workspace) provided by power bi service which has some kind of limitations in it that we cannot create dataflows and some other options too. 
So i had to create another workspace. And it worked perfectly fine 
Thank you all for your help

Anand21

Hi @F2 ,

Are you receiving the successfully published pop-up in desktop after publishing?

If Yes, then copy the PBI services link it provides and open in incognito.

If No, then you report is not published and you need to check the below.

Please note the below 3 points:

1. Larger the pbix file, more time it will take to publish from desktop to services. How much is the size of your pbix file? 

2. Your internet connection also contributes to how fast the file will get published. Make sure it is uninterrupted connection. 

3. If both the above points are safely implemented and since no errors are thrown, then you should raise a support ticket and MS can help you with this. Link

Give a Thumps Up is this post helped you in any way and Mark This Post as solution it solved your query !!!

F2
Frequent Visitor

I am not getting the pop-up for successfully publishing. 
My .PBIX file size is about 400MBs. 
I have searched about it. It says that files size less than 500MBs take no more then 5 minutes to get published. But mine are not. publishing

@F2 ,

A lot of things are dependant on the statement that pbix will be published within 5 minutes for size < 500MB.

There are always dependencies on internet connection, bandwidth and mappings inside the pbix file.

Eventually, if the successfully published pop-up is not shown, then you should wait till it appears because error not being thrown is an indication that publishing is in progress.

I'd suggest you to connect with MS Support if the report is failing to publish in 1 hours or so.

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png  

Give a Thumbs Up if this post helped you in any way and Mark This Post as Solution if it solved your query !!!

Proud To Be a Super User !!!
LinkedIn

AbhiSSRS
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

What is the size of your report after Import?

It has taken me upto 8 hours to deploy a 500 MB file because of low bandwidth. So in case its slow please put that up at night and see! Else please use the parameterization which has worked for me with huge imports :

In your main query put in Date parameters start and end date or Top n and try to get limited data.

Set these to full range for your local and do your transformations and development on full data. 

Once your development is complete, change parameter values an refresh with low data.(report size 10-20 mb)

Now deploy your report to service.

In service go to dataset settings and change parameters to full range and refresh dataset.

F2
Frequent Visitor

File size is about 400MB

rakesh_js
Frequent Visitor

F2
Frequent Visitor

I have tried this its not working for me and not giving any errors too

RJ251997
Helper I
Helper I

1. Hi @F2 

Try this setp to Publish your report,

To publish a Power BI Desktop dataset and reports
  1. In  Power bi desktop choose File > Publish> publishto Power bi or select Publish on the ribbon.
  2. Sign in to Power bi, if you aren't already signed in.
  3. Select the destinatio

thank & Regards

Rohit Jaiswal

F2
Frequent Visitor

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-sql-tutorial 
i have completely followed this way but my reports are not getting published. 
I dont get any kind of errors. The pbix file is just taking ages to load (like its getting pubished) for hours but no report is published

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors