Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Jhu23
Frequent Visitor

How to test RLS for all reports that share a single dataset?

Hi all,

I need your help!

I have a single shared dataset that feeds 3 separate reports (A, B, and C). 

PBI Dataset - RLS.png

Report A contains the actual dataset.

Reports B and C reference Report A's dataset.

Each report's RLS set up is different. If I go to the Dataset's security settings and click on "Test as role", it always takes me to Report A. This means I can positively confirm that my RLS rules are working for Report A, but how can I do the same for Reports B and C? I even tried publishing Report B, and then immediately going to "Test as role", but it still directs me to Report A.

I'm also not able to test the RLS logic in the actual desktop files for Reports B and C because I'm connected to the dataset on the PBI service (Modeling tab is greyed out).

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks all!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi @Jhu23

I tested the particular scenario and I am able to toggle between 2 reports - 1 built on the data model and another which is using the same data model as a shared dataset. 

If you have assigned users to the different security groups then you would need to assign similar security at report level as well so users just see the report they need to see. 

Please mark the post as a solution if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks! 

PBI Security 1.jpg

PBI Security 2.jpg

PBI Security 3.jpg

PBI Security 4.jpg

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Majkel
Helper I
Helper I

Reopening this post, as Power BI team closed this opportunity with last update of Power BI Service.

Do we know how RLS could be tested in shared datasets, as we cannot expand view on reports inside given workspace? 

Majkel_0-1661501345480.png

i know of 2 options to test RLS on shared dataset. 

First, you can create a tabular visual on shareddataset pbix, containing all columns.When you deploy that PBIX you will have a report which you can use to test RLS, using RLS "test as role" functionality

Second, is by creating a embedded application (a kind of simulator), which can have input as user email and role id.

Eeve
Regular Visitor

I am also looking for a solution to the same problem

@Eeve 

With the help of Microsoft support, I've managed to bring back previous view by adding this to your URL: 

"?tridentStageTwo=0".

E.g., try https://app.powerbi.com/home?tridentStageTwo=0

Majkel_1-1662481959918.png

Unfortunately, it appears this solution also no longer works.

Here's a little workaround that I just stumbled over:

1. Try to first open the desired report in a new window.

2. Now open security settings of the shared dataset, choose a role and choose "test as role" from the 3 dots menu

Now the test-as-role mode opens, using the report that was opened in a new window in step 1.

Does this work for you, too? I'd be happy to know!

Cheers

Unfortunately not. When I use the test as role option, the same report always opens regardless of which report I opened in a new window in step one. The only way I have found to test the RLS settings on shared datasets is to delete all other reports except the report I want to test.

Hi, I've checked this twice during the last 2 days. It works for me when I do it this way:

(tested with Edge browser)

1. Open workspace with the desired report using "all" tab (contents + datasets)

2. Open the report to simulate in a new window

3. In this new window, go back to to the workspace using the link on the left hand side. You should see the "all" tab again

4. Go to security of the underlying shared dataset, choose a role and test it.

This might also have been working with chrome browser, but I didn't actually check this.

I agree. This works. thank you

Eeve
Regular Visitor

Thanks @Majkel  that works.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Jhu23 You have to test from the original dataset.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Sumanth_23
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

hi @Jhu23, Have you created seperate roles for each of the reports? 

If you have the data setup correctly, you can defined a role for each report and then grant access to specific roles for each of the reports. 

You can refer to the Mocrosoft Docs link for additional information: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/rls-guidance

Please mark the post as a solution if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks!   

Sumanth - Yes, I have new roles for each report.  I believe the RLS is set up correctly and that end-users will only be able to see the data that they are authorized for, however I want to be able to actually test this using the "Test as role" feature.  However, I am only allowed to "test as role" for Report A, never for Reports B and C.  

Greg - I am testing from the original dataset.  

hi @Jhu23

I tested the particular scenario and I am able to toggle between 2 reports - 1 built on the data model and another which is using the same data model as a shared dataset. 

If you have assigned users to the different security groups then you would need to assign similar security at report level as well so users just see the report they need to see. 

PBI Security 1.jpg

PBI Security 2.jpg

PBI Security 3.jpg

PBI Security 4.jpg

The reports that are based out of same datasets, for them this seems a hidden way to do the roles testing, ideally it must be given an easy way to navigate. Users wont even know there's such a way possible

I have been using this method for quite some time now. The navigation pane, however, has been updated and I don't see a way to switch between reports. Am I missing something with this new UI?

@mbrewing 

With the help of Microsoft support, I've managed to bring back previous view by adding this to your URL: 

"?tridentStageTwo=0".

E.g., try https://app.powerbi.com/home?tridentStageTwo=0

Majkel_1-1662481959918.png

Thank you, Sumanth!  That did the trick!  

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors