Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

SalCambs
Frequent Visitor

How to prevent people seeing the data behind a visual

Hello

I have instances where I publish aggregated data and I do not want the consumers to be able to view the data behind the visual.  At present they can click on the elipses on a visual and select 'Show as a table' or 'Export data'.  I want to disable these functions.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Regards,

Sally 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @SalCambs ,
You can simply remove the ellipses by disabling the complete Header Icons. If you just want to remove show as table and export options, then just disable "more options" in Header Icons.

Make sure you save and then view the changes, cz these ellipses will appear in edit mode.

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png  

Give a Thumbs Up if this post helped you in any way and Mark This Post as Solution if it solved your query !!!

Proud To Be a Super User !!!
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SalCambs
Frequent Visitor

Hello @Brunner_BI , you're absolutly right!  thanks so much.

So, not content with just locking down a visual.  Do you know if there is a way to do this for a whole page or for a whole report?

Many thanks

Sally 

If users have normal read rights they can only see what is in the report, it depends on you what you expose.

What applies for one visual also applies for pages and the whole report.

Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @SalCambs ,
You can simply remove the ellipses by disabling the complete Header Icons. If you just want to remove show as table and export options, then just disable "more options" in Header Icons.

Make sure you save and then view the changes, cz these ellipses will appear in edit mode.

Give a Thumbs Up if this post helped you in any way and Mark This Post as Solution if it solved your query !!!

LinkedIn

Thank you so much @Anand24 

I've just tested this and it does indeed remove the options.  I have however, found that you can simply right click on the visual and still select 'see as table'.  I need to remove their ability to see any of the underlying data to prevent a data breach.

Any ideas?

Thanks again, Sally

@SalCambs ,
Viewers anyway will only be able to see the same data they already see in the visual. It's just that this data will be present in Tabular structure when they use either of show as table or export data.

To make sure they don't have access to the whole underlying dataset, just make sure underlying data access is not granted to them. Also, make sure Analyze in excel doesn't work for them because they will be able to view all data in excel if this option is enabled.

LinkedIn

The see table does not show anything else besides what you can read from the visual as well.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors