Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to identify what all Datasets are being used in PowerBI Service

Hi All - Is there a way to create a dashboard/report which will give the details of what all datasets are available in PowerBI service? This is to identify if any datasets are not being used for some time by users and can be deleted, and what all datasets are frequently accessed, identify which data sets are being accessed by whom etc. 

I know for a particular report we can access usage metrics/lineage view. 

Looking for something similar but across workspaces.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

Noted with thanks!

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let me know. Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You may consider Audit log that is another usage metrics across the entire tenant. You could access it if you have Power BI administrator account or global admin account. You could go there by the link provided under Admin portal.

vcazhengmsft_0-1647241548006.png

Audit log will track user activities in Power BI and its data can be exported by using a REST API or PowerShell cmdlet. Then, you can do your analyze based on these exported data. For more details about Power BI audit log, you could refer to this blog: Introducing the Power BI Activity Log | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI where you could see the overview of this feature. For more details about how to retrieve user activities from this kind of log, please refer to Track user activities in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

Also, here is a blog that may help you: How to view the frequency of user usage for all wo... - Microsoft Power BI Community.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let me know. Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-cazheng-msft Thanks for your inputs. I dont have access to Admin portal, I will check with my Admin team and get back. I believe what I am looking for can be obtained from Audit logs.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Noted with thanks!

Best Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors