Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

robarivas
Post Patron
Post Patron

How to cancel refresh

Any ideas on how to cancel a refresh in the service? I'm not seeing it in the options below.

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

The only way to currently do this is to restart your On-Premise Gateway

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unsure what happened, I am assuming MS finally heard our cries for help, but there is now a cancel refresh button, I just found it:

mmicsa_1-1670270909026.png

Nice going MS, took a few years, but you finally got there.

Hope it helps someone.

WATYF
Helper II
Helper II

Just to add another alternative solution to this...

I had an API-initiated refresh hang for hours (normally it takes 1 minute). No idea why. All other refreshes were fine. I tried restarting the Gateway multiple times. Did nothing. Tried taking the Dataset over using another user. Nothing.

Finally I republished that Dataset (via the PBIX) and that killed the hung refresh.

Recently discovered - Cancel Refresh rest api call works, but only on "enhanced" refreshes, which are started via rest api while adding one or more parameters as per this doc.

Also, see Cancelling Power BI Dataset Refreshes With The Enhanced Refresh API - Chris Webb 

Incidentally, enhanced refreshes are superfast. So fast that we are skeptical and testing.  🙂

(og response from 2021, now slightly outdated)

The definitive way to cancel a stuck dataset refresh in Primium workspace was described here:
Cancelling a Power BI Premium Dataset Refresh (elegantbi.com)

I have tried all the solutions described above, and they do or do not work depending on the specifics of where the refresh process has gotten itself stuck. However, all of them are trying to force the refresh api to recognize a failure and exit the process.

This solution works always. This is directly instructing the actual tabuar ssas engine running you pbi instance to drop a refresh process. Takes about 1 minute. 

It looks like that solution is for Premium only. I'm on Pro.

You're correct though, all of these other solutions only work some of the time depending on how the refresh got "stuck". I tried republishing again when that same Dataset got stuck again later and that time it didn't work.

AndreyBear
Advocate I
Advocate I

We tricked a stuck refresh into dropping by doing a dataset takeover.  Give it a try.

This was the only thing that worked for us.

v-gizhi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,

I think you can vote for this idea:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/34788757-stop-dataset-refresh 

Best Regards,

Giotto

Thanks @GilbertQ and @v-gizhi-msft 

That's seems crazy to me but I appreciate the answer.

Pleasure, happy to help

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

The only way to currently do this is to restart your On-Premise Gateway

Power BI Blog

Considering how impractical this solution is I think it is not a real solution at all as you could also say reboot the computer and it has the same effect. There should be some method to stop unintended refreshes from proceeding without restarting the gateway!

I fully agree. After publishing a report to a workspace I don't want it's dataset to start refreshing anyway, because I need to change a parameter to point to the correct database. As my update takes over an hour, I need to wait for this before I can update the parameter and manually refresh again for the correct DB connection.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors