Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Koen
Frequent Visitor

How to automatically allocate Power Premium Capacity costs based on usage to cost centers?

Background
A client of mine has purchased multiple Power BI Premium SKUs to host their activities. A workspace gets created by an employee and requests Premium Capacity for it. A Power BI Admin adds the workspace to one of the nodes. All fine.

However, as the load increases, requesting a new workspace becomes more difficult. You have to prove that you're load does not jeopardize critical reporting loads.

The other thing is that they want to split the costs of Power BI Premium to different cost centers. The premium capacity is now a free-for-all.

Proposed solution
So I thought Microsoft offers Capacity Usage and detailed logging.
Combining this with the CMDB, which registers which workspace belongs to which cost center, we can make reports on the cost per action.

With this insight, the business can optimize their solution themselves.
For example, if a report developer wants to refresh their 10 GB on-premise dataset each hour with ten active users, their costs will be much higher than, let's say, a weekly updated report of 500 MB with 500 active users.

Discussion
I can imagine that there are many ways to go about it. I'm curious how other corporates are solving this issue. Do you have a less technical solution for this? Or maybe you have already implemented this and can share some learnings.

4 REPLIES 4
Mogry
Advocate I
Advocate I

Is there any approach from Microsoft how to do a fair and effective costsplitting for different cost centers or departments based on usage or user? I am facing the same question at the moment: How can we split the montly premium costs to the different departments.

v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Koen 

You can consider using autoscale with Power BI Premium Gen2. You can also split a big SKU into two smaller ones.

Using Autoscale with Power BI Premium - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

That is not really what we are after. It has nothing to do with the size of the SKU, but with the usage per department. Where department --> workspace. So if a department requests a Power BI Premium workspace, the associated usage is billed to that department as well. Then they can make an informed choice whether to ask for Power BI Premium backed workspaces or go for individual Power BI Pro / PPU licenses.

Hi, @Koen 

Automatic allocation is impossible. But you can actively allocate user and workspace in the capacity setting to use premium capacity.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors